Florida Southern College Usonian House Progress Update

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
michaelmaguire

Glass installation has begun ... won't be finished soon

Post by michaelmaguire »

Ken Berman of The Glass Onion is on site and installing the first of nearly 5,000 inserts. Stay tuned to the website for progress updates.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Michael,
Any word on when it will be officially open to the public?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Tom

Post by Tom »

Ha! I'd forgotten about these.

michaelmaguire

Glass Inserts

Post by michaelmaguire »

The website has been updated with our interview with Ken Berman who is installing the glass inserts and an accompanying "explainer" from Ron Bearer, who fabricated them.

See it at: http://www.buildingtheusonianhouse.com/glass.html

Tom

Post by Tom »

(Anybody know what software the architects for this project use to make their 3 dimensional drawings? Is it AutoCAD or a BIM program like Revit?)

HOJO

Post by HOJO »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks. Cool shots.
I should have been more specific. I am referring to the isometrics in their construction drawings that we get peeks of here and there in the website galleries.

dtc

Post by dtc »

How many sq. feet in this building?

Do we know the cost per sq. ft.?

Tom

Post by Tom »

(From Jeff Baker on the Maguire website in Jan 2012: They did the entire house in 3dAutoCAD. There are 16, 30 x 42 sheets just for the concrete block. Pretty cool.)

michaelmaguire

Last Lap

Post by michaelmaguire »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The website has been updated and revised to include the DeMoss workshop videos and nearly 300 images taken during October!

peterm

Post by peterm »

So nice! http://02f7a98.netsolhost.com/OctoberGa ... ge-21.html

Almost looks like a Schindler house (or is it the telephone wires with palm trees which are taking me back to Hollywood?...)

DRN

Post by DRN »

Wow.
The attention to detail and the level of craftsmanship seen on this project is exemplary, and unfortunately, too rare.
All involved, from the architects of record, to the craftspeople, to the laborers should be congratulated. FSC and its board, certainly is owed our gratitude for taking this on and seeing it through what has been a long, and I'm sure expensive, process.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Sure would like to know what this is costing per square foot?

DRN

Post by DRN »

In an earlier thread, I recall a source quoted the project at $2 million, which likely includes all of the soft costs (architecture, engineering, bonds, permits, legal expenses, etc.) as well as the renovation of the adjacent bungalow. That figure works out to just over $1000/SF. Not knowing what the soft costs total, the cost of the bungalow work, or if union/prevailing wage pay rates are applied, a precise hard construction number would be just a guess. Based on the size of the house, its complexity, the intricacy of the components, time, and effort expended, I can't imagine the Usonian costing less than $500/SF.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'd like to see the detail employed at the edge of the roof(s). This house, and the restored Jacobs I, may be the only Usonians extant which have no visible flashing (added) to the top of the roof fascia . . . ?

Mr Wright (at least) would be very pleased. It surely looks good.

SDR