Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Video unavailable
This video has been removed by the uploader"

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

The characterization of Niedecken as a "student" of Frank Lloyd Wright is incorrect, if the term is used in the normal way.

It is most interesting to see this house. It illustrates the fact that Niedecken was his own man as a designer, having absorbed a variety of styles while studying in Europe and having deployed a number of them over the course of his career. He was, to be sure, a very good synthesizer of Wright's "style" as well, qualifying him (in Wright's estimation, judging by the amount of work he gave to the younger man) as a collaborator on a number of projects, including notably the Coonley and Robie houses.

Wrightians, including me, are still learning all the facts regarding Mr Niedecken, 110 years after Mr Wright left Oak Park while those he had worked with over the previous decade, including Marion Mahony and George Niedecken, finished up commissions then in progress.

Here are the opening paragraphs of an essay on Niedecken and his relationship with Mr Wright, as found in Cheryl Robinson, "Frank Lloyd Wright and George Mann Niedecken, Prairie School Collaborators," published in 1999 by the Milwaukee Art Museum. There is much more to follow, including Niedecken's treatment in David Hanks, "The Decorative Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright, Wright's later recollections of working with Niedecken, and the latter's recollections of same.

I am indebted to Eric O'Malley for acquainting me with Cheryl Robinson's and Terrence Marvel's work on Niedecken and for supplying me with their two books on the subject.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This house appeared here a while back. I scanned Lake Geneva, looking for some indication of it, but could not find a hint.
Fallingwater is one FLW design no architect should make any attempt at copying or mimicking or paraphrasing. One might do a parody, which has been done in cartoons, but that would be a costly joke. This house approaches a parody.

SDR

Post by SDR »

At this point I'm grateful when they spell "Fallingwater" correctly. But I agree . . .

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Has gray become the new white?

Roderick Grant