Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by SDR »

What an interesting house. Have you seen it by any chance, Sutton ? The mixture of traditional and modern forms, materials and details works almost everywhere, though it falls apart a little for me in the library/throne room.

Considering the generous size and number of public spaces, only four bedrooms is a bit of a surprise. The fenestration system is most satisfying in conjunction with stone piers and floors,and quasi-traditional paneling.

I'd worry only about the exterior boards holding up over time; they are cupping a bit already. What substitute ? The corresponding interior board walls look great. But imagine those upper walls being exposed-aggregate concrete ?

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Paul; we haven't seen Quarry House in a while, and there seem to be new (and plenteous) photos here. This one seems safe from flooding---at least !

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

by apprentice Herb Fritz
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/wi/ ... _37276251/

H/T: Scott T.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Great stone work on the chimney. The sauna looks big enough for a party.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Sutton1

Post by Sutton1 »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6191 ... 0644_zpid/

Found this interesting home on Zillow with some Wrightian touches. Were there any students/apprentices who had a practice in the Denver area in the late 60's? Too bad the interior wood has been painted--or so I assume. The site is on a ridge with a fairly steep drop off to the west, which you can't discern from the photos. This neighborhood is a few miles south of the Red Rocks Amphitheater and contains rock formations similar to the famed amphitheater, but on a smaller scale. Thus the use of red sandstone on the house is appropriate for the area. Thanks!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thank you. Yes, too bad about the paint; it would be worth the effort to remove it, just to get the full original effect for an hour or two. The coarseness of the stonework inside, just a bit over the top, reminds me of the Gunning residence for that reason. Beautiful color to that stone, yes ?

Bold forms. The kitchen bay doesn't quite settle for me, on the exterior, but seems worth the trouble inside. The other interior cylinder is a bold mystery . . .

Don't love the stairs mummified in gray carpet !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I wouldn't call the stone work "over the top" at all, here or at Gunning. It is splendid. The paint is unfortunate. And I dislike the shingle "skirt" wrapped around the house between the floors.

There was a Taliesin apprentice who ended up in Colorado. Geiger knew him, but I cannot remember his name. A quick scan of the Directory shows Stanford Adams at Palmer Lake, CO (@ Taliesin 1959-60, after Geiger was long gone, so probably not him) and Fredric A. Benedict in Aspen, CO (1938-41). Could be Fred, but frankly, I don't know.

One house an apprentice built in CO was high in the mountains with a wall of floor-to-ceiling, butt-ended slabs of glass looking over a declivity into the snow-capped Rockies.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

I like the stonework in both houses; it's on the bold side re scale and texture, as I see it. A bit in-your-face---for some, I imagine ?

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

by apprentice Cary Caraway
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... tch#photo0

looks like it has been highly altered.