Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Sure, we can call anything "Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by SDR »

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Post by Eric Saed »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 am
While Colleyville has details that aggravate the soul, Crestline looks very interesting, but not enough is shown. It seems to be an unpretentious cottage for a reasonable price in a spectacular setting.
The Colleyville residence was designed by Kelly Davis, of SALA and previously McGuire/Engler/Davis. I suspect this was a client with a yuge budget and strong opinions.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Kelly Davis?! I would never have guessed that. I recently exchanged some emails with him, and told him he had a lot of fans on this site. But I must admit that I don't really like the house. Possibly it's the quality of the real estate photography, which is very harsh. Yet I cannot say it lives up to what I have seen of Davis' work previously.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm sure Mr Davis would have an answer for you, as to how the house came to be as it is. (I'm somehow reminded of one or another of William Morgan's houses; I guess it's the symmetrical and pyramidal form.) But it's no stretch to imagine that the client had something to do with the outcome ?

I missed my chance, decades ago, to pick up a copy of "Two Chicago Architects and their Clients," so I don't know what it uncovers---but a book or more could be devoted to the subject of clients, subdivided by type, from the meek or subservient, to the presumptuous and demanding. Wright's clients could no doubt be subjected to such a study . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

That's a good price for that book. Looks like a hardcover with dust jacket first edition.
I've got a copy.
One of the things it documents is that a lot of Wright clients were well educated and not that wealthy.
Wereas all of Shaws clients were rolling in dough.
Another thing I remember from the book is a statement from Robie, saying the whole process of procuring his house was one of the best handled business deals he was ever involved in.
I'll try to find the actual quote

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The section on Robie, which is an interview with Frederick by his son, is the most revealing in the book. The other original client interview is with Mr. and Mrs. Greene (pp 100-111). It is always best to interview original clients and get the skinny from the horses' mouth. The Greene interview ends with:

Interviewer:
Are there any comments you would like to make about the job Mr. Wright did for you, Mrs. Greene?
Mrs. Greene:
Oh, everything was satisfactory, I think. We liked him, liked his personality.
Interviewer:
He was supposed to be a man of great personal charm.
Mrs. Greene:
Yes, we liked him. We certainly never regret building our house.

The only reference to Robinson, who has been wrongly credited with significant involvement with the design, is that he was the first person with whom the Greenes discussed the contract before meeting with FLW, nothing about any other connection.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

This 'FLW-inspired' actually beats at least 9 out of 10 that I run across:

Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Squirrel Feeder - (4:45)

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Considering the anatomy of the squirrel, wouldn't a chaise lounge be more appropriate?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Sanford M Goldman (1957) apprentice house $1.7M
https://patch.com/florida/pinellasbeach ... oyd-wright
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

David,
There is not one thing about this house that is Wrightian.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

David makes no claim that the items posted here are Wrightian. Rather, he selects objects or properties which in some way are advertised as being Wrightian.

Here's the copy from the real estate site linked below the video:

"This is a unique and special home nestled down into the forest. The owner is an artist who's created a fairy tale complete with a dragon weather vane, and a huge cement and mosaic dragon who wraps himself around an outdoor spa. The gardens are beautiful, the architecture is much like that of Frank Lloyd Wright, bringing the home into the surroundings. Massive living room with floor to ceiling windows, hardwood floors and large stone fireplace for those chilly, winter nights."

Wright's fame makes him a natural for lucrative appropriation. As always, caveat emptor !

S