River Forest Women's Club

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

River Forest Women's Club

Post by Roderick Grant »

Paul, I see on PrairieMod that your neighbor, the River Forest Women's Club / private residence is on the market. Have you been in the transformed structure? The post makes it look like a very sensitive conversion.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Never saw the interior -- nor even the sides and rear -- of this interesting building -- until now. I agree, it looks like a reasonable rehab.

photo by H A Brooks

SDR

Post by SDR »

I tell a lie -- I have these images as well, courtesy of H A Brooks' "Prairie School Architecture" (©1975/83, Van Nostrand Reinhold):

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The house was on Wright Plus a few years ago. I got the impression that residents would do most of their daily living in the downstairs rooms (photos 4, 5, 7, 8 at the Coldwell-Banker site) and use the main spaces (2, 3 plus the stage - now a formal dining room) on special occasions. The master bedroom (9) is in a raised space opposite the stage, behind the tall windows above the entry. Through the wooden screen it's open to the main room.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that, Reidy. Here's a pretty-good scan of the Western Architect plan (Plate Nine), as reproduced in Brooks (op cit, above). We note that the entry is at the half level.

Wish we had a longitudinal section of this structure. I guess the new Master Suite comprises the street-side mezzanine-level floor. This would be the organ/and-or/choir loft, were
this quasi-cathedral actually a sacred structure ? Stage/proscenium at left . . .

Is this the Decorated Shed of R. Venturi et al ?

http://www.coldwellbankeronline.com/pro ... 60305.aspx

SDR

pharding

Re: River Forest Women's Club

Post by pharding »

Roderick Grant wrote:Paul, I see on PrairieMod that your neighbor, the River Forest Women's Club / private residence is on the market. Have you been in the transformed structure? The post makes it look like a very sensitive conversion.
Yes I have. They did a competent restoration. It is wonderful to have a fine Drummond Building just down the street. I always thought that it would make a fine architect's office and residence.
Paul Harding FAIA Owner and Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, the First Prairie School House in Chicago | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

ross

Post by ross »

Link to listing:

http://marceegavula.bairdwarner.com/property/15232993/

I wish current floor plans were included!

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

It's not green anymore!

outside in

Post by outside in »

The primary living space speaks to todays open floor plans. Its rehabilitation transformed it into a model of sustainable design using geothermal heating/cooling systems, solar water heating units and a conventional boiler.
Could someone explain the boiler part?

Tom

Post by Tom »

The exterior perspective rendering of the small kindergarten and community house ...1915? Pretty amazing. I assume this is a FLlW design although the rendering style seems a little strange.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Tom,
The rendering of the Small Kindergarten and Community House is NOT a rendering of the River Forest Women's Club building even though they appear on the same page of that publication.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sorry for including an extraneous item in that scan. To be clear, both illustrated buildings are the work of Guenzel & Drummond.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The drawing for the Small Kindergarten is on page 234 of "Prairie School Architecture." On page 235 is the floor plan.

SDR

Post by SDR »

. . . thusly . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks. I like that plan. The perspective reminded me of House on the Mesa.