Interesting new property listing

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Sequoia

Interesting new property listing

Post by Sequoia »

David & Gladys Wright home is now listed in the property section of this site. They are described as the only owners. I wonder what happened to the rug in their living room that was discussed here?

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Interesting new property listing

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Quote: "The only owners of this home were son David Wright and his wife Gladys."

What is "that" supposed to mean? We know it sold a few years ago, so they at least the second owners... or does it mean that it is not a "bank-owned" property (i.e. foreclosure).

Real Estate Listing:

http://www.pruaz.com/buying-arizona-hom ... hoenix++az

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

From the photos of the interior this looks like it needs some major work (refinishing all trim and cabinetry etc) including new kitchen appliances. I've also never heard of a nearly 2,600 sqft house having less than two full bathrooms. The photos make me feel like it hasn't been lived in for years. Given the neighborhood, is there the risk of this property being a teardown candidate?

Rood

Post by Rood »

JPB_1971 wrote:From the photos of the interior this looks like it needs some major work (refinishing all trim and cabinetry etc) including new kitchen appliances. The photos make me feel like it hasn't been lived in for years. Given the neighborhood, is there the risk of this property being a teardown candidate?
Truly. My first reaction on going through the house was utter astonishment at how poorly it had been maintained. I doubt the Wright's did anything to correct problems that might have developed over the years. Now we know one reason why they refused to allow anyone but family to get inside during their long lives. It's really sad.

Still ... a million or so would resurrect the house to its original splendor.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

if it is for sale and I had the money I would buy it.... 22 year old buying a Wright house that would be a story of a lifetime :)
JAT
Jeff T

dtc

Post by dtc »

Jeff,
How about someone your age... Seth Peterson, as you know, was an original client of Wright's. Seth Peterson was born 1936, and Wright and John Howe were working on the drawings in 1958. I believe that made him 22.
So bust into your piggy bank and write an offer on David Wright's gem.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I doubt the Wright's did anything to correct problems that might have developed over the years.
I'd be a bit more charitable...David was 55 or 56 years old when he and Gladys moved into the house in 1951. Considering that during most of the house's 60 years, it was occupied and maintained by an elderly couple, probably on a fixed income, it looks to be in pretty good condition when compared with other houses by Wright from this era. An arid climate probably didn't hurt either.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I agree. Of what real importance are new appliances? The important thing is that this house has original fabric and has not been remuddled. I personally do not mind the shmutz and patina that comes with use.

Which cabinets need refinishing? They look beautiful to me. Of course, I have not seen it in person...

egads

Post by egads »

The listing says it has four full bathrooms.....

I'm sure the cabinetry does need refinishing.

Really bad agent photos, too small

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

I didn't view the actual realtor listing. Somebody should contact savewright.org as the listing on the Wright on the Market page states it only has 1.75 bathrooms...

jim

Post by jim »

Googling "David Wright House" comes up with an article that says in part:

"Son David and his wife lived in the home until his death in 1997 at 102 years of age and his widow, Gladys, passed away in 2008 at 104, outliving their only son, who died at 49 years of age. David and Gladys were the only owners of the home and lived in it their entire lives. Not long thereafter, Wright heirs offered the home for sale for $3.9 million (in August of 2008); it was apparently sold for cash in June of 2009 for $2.8 million by a Limited Partnership with plans to restore the nearly 60-year old home to its original condition -- likely at great cost. When we viewed the home, it was from the street. An 8-foot high chain-link fence surrounded the property keeping cameras, the curious and inquisitive away, and it appeared as if no one occupied it."

Maybe the Limited Partnership also had limited cash for restoration after they absconded with the living room rug.
Jim

John

David Wright "Today"...

Post by John »

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

John, thanx for the timely pictures. Your honesty is appreciated.

pharding

Post by pharding »

The house looks to be in a relatively good condition. I believe that the restoration cost will be modest to moderate. That is a great house.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That's an interesting view of the ceiling by the bedroom fireplace which I've never seen before. The detailing of the wood is fascinating.