Chahroudi / Massaro residence on Petre Island

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Re: Chahroudi / Massaro residence on Petre Island

Post by SDR »

Image Pope

Image Bazett

Image Kundert

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:22 am
Roderick wrote that Jester as designed "is practically a pool house." There's nothing wrong with it---as long as the house is built where a pool would be suitable and desired.

We have to take Wright as we find him. The plan shape of the Chahroudi terrace is a quirk that makes the house particularly Wrightian, to me. And that shape is found in more than one perf design---oddly. I still don't know what it refers to, or where it comes from . . .

The terrace could be said to present "a cantilever off a cantilever." An earlier example would be Fallingwater.
Come on. As architect is not the same thing doing a weird form in a floor plan than a decorative window. Those windows (lightscreens he called it) are squares, a regular forms with that wrightian geometries inside but does not alterate anything, but the floor plan, then become a volumen, of course..!!! I'm sure if that terrace with a regular form would be beautiful, from inside would be like a ship, like Walker house. Even the triangular staircase he planed to downstairs to the sea is weird. A terrace with a regular form with a straight stairs like Fallingwater would be amazing... and sorry for bringing Mies here, but sometimes less is more.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Though not terminating in a prow, perhaps the cantilevered terrace for the Joseph Brewer Project (Taschen 326), a version of Chahroudi, would come closer to pleasing you, Juan? Also, the Chahroudi plan in Taschen 229 is slightly different from the one SDR has posted. Looks like something else is going on that might explain its oddity. The point seems to be aside from the long axis of the living room.

To me, Brewer is a better piece of work.

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:51 pm
Though not terminating in a prow, perhaps the cantilevered terrace for the Joseph Brewer Project (Taschen 326), a version of Chahroudi, would come closer to pleasing you, Juan? Also, the Chahroudi plan in Taschen 229 is slightly different from the one SDR has posted. Looks like something else is going on that might explain its oddity. The point seems to be aside from the long axis of the living room.

To me, Brewer is a better piece of work.
I love Brewer as well... and it's terrace, yeah... that's enough..!! Did Wright have an obsession with spaceships, star wars or something like that..?
Last edited by juankbedoya on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright is not always the neat, tight and tidy designer we find in the early flat-top Usonians; Goetsch-Winckler is a pristine example, perhaps. No, he has his flamboyant side---but you knew that ?

To wit: The Huntington Hartford extravaganza. Seacliff house---and a number of other unbuilt designs. When the rectangle and the square palled, there were always those "alternative facts" (I mean, geometries) waiting in the wings; "Bring me my triangles, boys . . . and then we'll need the beam compass---the big one !

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Joseph Brewer Project?
... I should have bought Taschen when they were first published.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, undoubtedly you have the Monographs. Brewer is on page 99 of volume 8. It is a less agitated version of Chahroudi.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes, thank you
p99 vol8
will check it out

SDR

Post by SDR »

Chahroudi; note stair at cantilevered terrace, explaining its eccentric shape:

Brewer:

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Tom

Post by Tom »

Should have bought the Taschen Volumes when they were first published.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I find the drawings of Chahroudi very intriguing, but when the house was finally built found the design rather clunky. Something about the band that is the balcony parapet wall and the band of the roof fascia doesn't work for me. The drawing above makes it look like the home was intended for a forest and not an island...was the island the original site?

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:02 am
Chahroudi; note stair at cantilevered terrace, explaining its eccentric shape:

© 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
I had already seen those renderings, and it makes even stranger. That beautiful elevation with a stairs like Fallingwater descending to the sea would be amazing and enough. Instead, that triangle looks like a tornado between the sea and the rare cantilivered form.