Chahroudi / Massaro residence on Petre Island

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

It is entirely possible that the cottage masonry inspired either Massaro or Heinz. But they got it wrong: think how much less annoying the house would be if a few larger and random stones were applied to the walls, rather than the monotonous sprinkling that exists. Not proper desert masonry in either case -- but . . .

I wonder if the cottage was supervised by Taliesin.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Craig

Post by Craig »

I just can't like this house. So much is wrong about it. I was happy to learn that Wright designed the television nook so that the sun wouldn't hit it directly at sunset. That Frank, what an amazing architect.
ch

Matt

Post by Matt »

I blame the masonry of the big house less...given that is clearly was based on some rather poor masonry on the original cottage. I wonder why that cottage masonry was so poorly done, with few stones and some projecting from the cement---with is a rather morose shade of gray.

The elevations indicate desert masonry around the chimney stack and kitchen volume, but some sort of masonry below the windows. That doesn't seem to have been done either.

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Board wall" appears on the elevations, under the window band . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

You have a choice: An 1870 townhouse, gutted and stripped of whatever charm it may have had, in the most overpriced neighborhood in the country, for $14.7M, or the Chahroudi parody for an extra $130K on an 11 acre private island ... a 15 minute copter ride from the Upper East Side. It would cost a bundle to fix Chahroudi, but it would worth it, compared to the alternative.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

Between pop-up ads, I saw some views of the new house and the original cottage I hadn’t seen before. While it may be true that the cottage has some stones in its masonry that awkwardly stand proud of the concrete matrix, they are the exception, not the rule. Stone on the new house could have been split or cut thin to be able to sit flush in the concrete matrix to match the original while still maintaining the required thermal break. Another trait that makes the original masonry richer in texture is the presence of lines left by the board forms...the smooth stucco-esque texture of the new house masonry is too sanitized when compared to the original.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps the most egregious examples of the stonework occur in the most prominent locations, around the fireplaces indoors and out. Here the stones are especially few and far apart---presented like material samples ?

Then there's the jarring presence of an entirely different sort of stone masonry, in a bedroom. And, how does the owner clean the raw stone (?) in the shower ?

Most puzzling of all is the fact that an architect who has devoted his career to the promotion of Wright's work should have permitted such defects in this post-Wright realization . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaro_House

S

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Chahroudi / Massaro residence on Petre Island

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond