1994 and my FLW companion

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

1994 and my FLW companion

Post by Tim »

I bought my one and only FLW companion (Storrer) in 1994 (ish). I purchased it after touring Oak Park a handful of times. I was looking through it tonight. In my 15+ years as a FLW fan, I have visited 200+ Wright structures. I've been inside 50 or so. This seems like a lot, but I wonder how this compares to others.

How many have you visited? (Just curious… no prizes here.)

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Bought my first Storrer approximately '78 (red cover ) and used it to jog my memory. Sites visited : 66 of that number I have been inside 42 - which when I did the count, kind of amazed me.

More memorable interior visits: Davidson, Sturgis, Schwartz, Price Tower, David Wright, Peterson, Cheny, Gordon,Fallingwater, Weltzheimer, Penfield. Romeo& Juliet, a two night stay in the Gold Room ( Taliesin), the exhibition house for " In the Realm of Ideas" circa 1990 and various apprentice related shelters (T-W) and probably several others not otherwise categorized...

Still on my list: Goetsh-Winkler AND Rosenbaum

GOT TO GET TO THESE TWO !!!!

SpringGreen

My numbers are middling

Post by SpringGreen »

42 buildings, not including the 4 of which I've only seen the outside. We're seeing 2 at the end of the month - the Park Inn & Stockman House in Mason City, IA.

I see there's some traveling I need to do!

That was an interesting exercise. I could only think of 25 or so off-hand before going through the Storrer Companion.

And most memorable visits: Unity Temple (always), Johnson Wax, Jacobs I, the Tonkins residence, the first time I went into Kentuck Knob, the Wyoming Valley Grammar School, the one-story American System-Built home in Milwaukee (Model B1 - because I didn't expect to feel such opening in space in such a small house), & my first visit to Taliesin West.

Wyoming Valley gets on this list of memorable visits in part because I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Fallingwater for some reason never makes the list: I think it's because it's too perfect. While Kentuck Knob makes the list because I practically threw myself across the living room when I realized where the room actually ended - I couldn't see the glass at the little built-in garden at the far end of the room, kept wondering how the heck the room ended, and when I saw the glass finally, the space was about 3 feet closer to me than I thought.

And none of the buildings on the Taliesin estate in WI ever make the list because I think they're in a special category in my mind that brings them out of any normal way of judging something.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I count 195 buildings visited, 140 entered, but only three where I spent a night or two: T-West, Bogk and Tomek.

stoddard

Post by stoddard »

As has been remarked, an interesting exercise. Confining my count to residential structures, including multiple unit apartments, etc., I've seen 127 and, of that number, been inside 48.
Favorites: Berger, Hagan, Penfield and Pew.

Of the public buildings the breakdown is 24/15.
The Unitarian church in Madison has remained a favorite since I first saw it around 40 years ago.

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

195 buildings visited by Roderick Grant. Is it any wonder that with such experience he can contribute so much to this site?

My total of 111 buildings appears very modest by comparison. Of those, I have entered 61.

My favorites, in no particular order, are Sweeton, Dobkins and Palmer.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Great white whale number one = Lloyd Lewis House in Libertyville, Illinois

I work minutes from the place, but you can't see it from the street. And it never has been (that I've seen) open to the public. I may resort to floating down the river... a true Captain Ahab.

Great white whale number two = Marin County Civic Center

Three times my plans (to visit) were foiled.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

I've visited a meager 24 buildings and have toured 14 of them. Of those I have entered, two favorites were Palmer and Shavin. Also, the oceanside setting of the Walker house was quite dramatic.

EP

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Laurie Virr wrote:My total of 111 buildings appears very modest by comparison. Of those, I have entered 61.
Since Laurie live about 15,000 miles from Spring Green, WI (according to Google) or 30 hours by air (according to Kayak), I would venture to say that if you are an American Wright fan and have less than Laurie you've got your vacation plans set for the next several years to catch up.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Does anyone know what happened to Peter Beers?

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw ... adtrip.htm

I am too lazy to count all the visits noted on his website, but it is north of 100.

SpringGreen

Post by SpringGreen »

Education professor - 24 or 25 was about what I thought mine was until I did the count with Storrer's book, and I don't think of myself as a casual observer!

I keep telling my sister I don't "know everything about Frank Lloyd Wright" (as she insists). She doesn't believe me, because she doesn't swim in that world. I should direct her to this page.

And I've also wondered about Peter Beers. I contacted him a few years ago for something else and I think the economy also affected him, where he had to buckle down.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

John

Storrer and Visits

Post by John »

My first Storrer was the 1983 "The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, 2nd Edition." The red one.
Since then, I have purchased 3 copies the 1974 version of this book.
I also own seven copies of his "Guide to Extant Structures" with their faded and well worn green covers, dated 1987 through 1999.
I also have his "The Frank Lloyd Wright Companion" of 1993 and "The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, A Complete Catalog." The green one.

I have visited and photographed at least 300 FLLW buildings and had the priviledge of going inside 182 of those.
I've stayed overnight in Price Tower, Seth Peterson Cottage (3), Penfield house, Muirhead Farmhouse, Schwartz house (2) and the Park Inn Hotel.

The are all wonderful!

Tim

Post by Tim »

I had the pleasure of the Marin county buildings (in/outside) and Walker in Carmel, CA (outside) this week.

Both impressive.

EJ

Post by EJ »

I've been to about a hundred, inside about 30 of those. My favorites are Goetsch-Winckler, Penfield (spent my wedding night there), and Kentuck Knob. An overnight visit to the Palmer House and to see the interior of any of the California block houses are on my bucket list. My highlight wuold have to be a personal tour of the Schaberg House by none other than Don Schaberg himself, a true gentleman and gracious host.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

Tom

Post by Tom »

59 for me. 23 inside. I've never stayed in one.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.