Gillin Info-Red slab flooring-

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
goffmachine

Gillin Info-Red slab flooring-

Post by goffmachine »

Hello Everyone.
I have been searching Wrightchat and the internet about info regarding the Gillin Residence.
The images are very elusive. Not many online.
Only a few shots from the film Bottle Rocket . And one pretty good interior from Arcaid. Fabulous fireplace and ceiling lighting!!!
Maybe my favorite Triangle grid design.

http://www.arcaid.co.uk/search.php?inc= ... fcheckbox=

http://www.dougnewby.com/Architecture/A ... kbrook.asp

Can anyone post a Floorplan?
Any juicy information about it?
It seems to be the largest and last of the Usonians. is this true?
Oh and one other question....
Which Wright design was the the first to use the Red concrete slab flooring???
It seems that near the end that the flooring was not being made red any longer. Gillin and Fawcett both have non-red floor. Any other concrete slab flooring not red out there????

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

goffmachine-

I can verify for you that the floors in the Griggs Residence in WA state are definitely not red either.

Sequoia

Post by Sequoia »

The first concrete floor to my best recollectionwould have been the first Jacobs house.Without research I would venture a guess it was red.Some floors were not red , but brown, I believe that was Olga's doings.

stoddard

Post by stoddard »

The Eric Brown House in Kalamazoo, MI has a brown concrete floor while the adjacent, contemporaneous McCartney has a red floor. Not sure about the color of the floors in the other two houses in this development.

I think it's safe to say that a brown concrete floor is a very rare exception to the use of Wright's favored Cherokee Red.

peterm

Post by peterm »

The first concrete floor was not Jacobs, rather La Miniatura in Pasadena, Ca. from 1923. Malcolm Willey (1934) had a red brick floor, and Jacobs 1 (1936) would be the first realized red concrete floor.

jim

Post by jim »

Fawcett has a brown concrete floor, according to a former thread on this site on the advice of the client because of dirt and dust at that agricultural site. I believe that thread goes on to say FLlW approved the brown, which Olgivanna said he would never have approved.

The Reisley addition has terrazzo floors rather than concrete, again at the request of the client, for ease of maintenance.
Jim

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

UT and Larkin had magnesite.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Reidy-

As does Robie on the lower levels.