Copeland's Usonian Furniture

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

I think our OP meant to type "spot on reproduction" as opposed to stop on reproduction.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, that would make sense. Better a Britishism that I've heard, than a new one ! But he wrote it twice . . . ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I noticed that, too.

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

As Copeland is authorised to reproduce this furniture, I wonder what criteria was set by the foundation in relation to the accuracy of construction and whether redesign details are permitted?

pharding

Post by pharding »

I own Wright furniture pieces by both Design Within Reach which Copeland manufactured and a couple of Copeland pieces. Copeland takes some liberties with both design and dimensions on their own FLW pieces. The Design Within Reach FLW pieces have a higher level of fidelity to the originals and better detailing than the Copeland pieces. Unfortunately the DWR pieces are now discontinued. Last week I inquired with Copeland to see if they would be interested in making the DWR pieces if I had permission from DWR and the FLW Foundation. They declined. Eventually I will retain Stafford Norris to build reproductions of FLW Furniture.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn