Ebay Item ------ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT - RED SIGNATURE TILE

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The description doesn't specify that this is a ceramic tile . . .

Painted MDF ?

SDR

flwromanza

Post by flwromanza »

This is without question a replica. Genuine tiles were given only to signature buildings, not distributed as souvenirs.

ekb

Signature tile

Post by ekb »

This is indeed a replica .I own an original that was not affixed to my parents house( Berger residence) due to theft fears. The real tiles do not have perpendicular sides, but bevel up from 4in square to 3.75"

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Didn't the foundation sell these a few years back?
KevinW

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

I think they offered a framed print rather than an actual tile:

http://www.prairiemod.com/prairiemod/20 ... can-g.html

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Oh yeah...thats what it was.. $250 for a print..
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

Stafford-

Let's tile the entire tub surround in the bathroom at Lamberson with these replica tiles, lest we forget who actually designed the place.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now THERE's an idea . . . !

"Frank Lloyd Wright® Signature Art Print"

Why is my skin crawling ?

SDR

FarmerBill

Post by FarmerBill »

This eBay tile does appear to be inauthentic, for the reasons ekb mentions, but the initials are pretty good. It's a shame the seller doesn't seem to know much about its provenance ("part of a large private collection" -- whose?) And the back of it does sort of look like fiberboard, not ceramic, but it's hard to tell from the photos.

ekb --
I'm glad you're still out there.
It's wonderful that you have your original tile, and that it's appreciated and in safe hands. Do you have any correspondence between your parents and Taliesin about your tile? Or do you remember any stories about how, when, and why they acquired it? I'm researching these tiles, and would appreciate getting in touch with you to ask a few other lingering questions, if you're willing. I'll add my email address to my profile for a few days, just in case.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Someday there'll be a database with photos of all tiles, taken in comparable lighting, at the same scale, so they can be compared.

One thing we haven't discussed, I believe, is how the inscription was achieved. Did the original batch rely on a single die that was taken from a piece of clay in Wright's hand ? Did the subsequent production (second series) use a different master inscription die -- thus accounting for the variety of signatures we see ? Surely they weren't individually inscribed by a hand other than Wright's ?

SDR

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

as you are aware, there are a couple other threads discussing the red tile issues - how man, where are they, were they supplied during Wright's lifetime, etc.

I have posted photos of the few I have seen, and others have, too. One member posted a link to his Flickr account with numerous tiles.

I plan on bringing a tape measure if I visit any other sites with possible tile locations. If others could do the same, we could end up with a good preliminary database.

I fear that even the same camera and same photographer will have a difficult time standardizing the color palate of his or her own photos.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Wrights hand never touched the original or any others in the production. Aaron did the signature, and Haber made each tile by hand one at a time. Wright did a hand sketch to describe what he wanted.
KevinW

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. But I'm still unclear: Was Aaron's signature made into a mold, so that each of the tiles was identically signed ? If so, what accounts for the differences we see between the first and later batches of tiles ? Did Aaron create a new mold for those, again with his own version of the signature ?

It's true that even the same camera would produce different versions of the same glaze color, depending on light conditions. Some sort of mobile "studio" -- a box surrounding the in situ tile, with controlled lighting, would be necessary. I'm less concerned with capturing the color of every tile, than in comparing the signatures and other details (if any) of the various tiles . . .

SDR

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

It is my understanding that each tile was individually signed, by either Aaron, or Haber, thus the individual differences from tile to tile, most noticeably the "W".
KevinW