Book suggestions?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
dk

Book suggestions?

Post by dk »

Hey everyone....

With the Holidays approaching, my wife asked me what I wanted for X-mas.

I have been lurking on this site as well as a few others to reseach as much as I can about the Man and his architecture. She has a book she had purchased a while ago, "Lost Wright," that I have been reading and since she asked, I replied to her that I would like to get a few more FLW books.

I had these on my list....
--The Frank Llloyd Wright Companion (Storrer)
--The Vision of Frank Lloyd Wright: A complete guide to the Designs of an Architectural Genius (Heinz)
--The Wright Style, FLW interiors (Lind)

Any other books come to mind that you would consider a good read for a new FLW enthusist?

Happy Holidays...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Depends on your budget. If it's extravagant, J. B. Muns in Berkeley has a complete 12-volume Monograph set for $5K and a complete 8-volume set of Selected Houses for $1500. But if you're not in that bracket, try to get Neil Levine's "The Architecture of ..." which covers his entire career. Tom Heinz certainly knows a lot about FLW, but his books are a constant rehash using some very old photos that are no longer valid. I would argue against that book. The Lind book is light on content. Of the three listed, Storrer's book is the only one that is a 'must' for any FLW library.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

You can create a "mini-monograph" (of sorts) by getting the Frank Lloyd Wright Complete Works set of 3 volumes - (Volume 3 shown in the link).

David

FarmerBill

Post by FarmerBill »

Here are a few more suggestions:

Biographies:
- Frank Lloyd Wright: A Life (Huxtable); not as in-depth as the next two, but a very enjoyable read, even for non-fanatics
- Frank Lloyd Wright: A Biography (Secrest)
- Frank Lloyd Wright: His Life and His Architecture (Twombly)
- The Life and Works of Frank Lloyd Wright (Costantino)

Coffee table books:
- Frank Lloyd Wright: The Houses (Hess & Weintraub)
- Auldbrass: Frank Lloyd Wright's Southern Plantation, 2nd ed. (DeLong)

Reference (small enough to carry on trips):
- The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright: A Complete Catalog, 2nd ed. (Storrer)
- Wright Sites: A Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright Public Places (FLW Building Conservancy)
- Frank Lloyd Wright Field Guide: His 100 Greatest Works (Clayton)

Books by chatters and FLWBC Board members:
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Florida Southern College (Dale Allen Gyure)
- Frank Lloyd Wright's SC Johnson Research Tower (Mark Hertzberg)
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Walter V. Davidson House (Patrick J. Mahoney)
- Wright in Racine (Mark Hertzberg)
(I haven’t read these four yet – they’re on my own list for Santa – but how can they not be excellent?)

Other favorites:
- Frank Lloyd Wright in New York: The Plaza Years 1954-1959 (Hession & Pickrel)
- Frank Lloyd Wright Remembered (Meehan)
- Fallingwater Rising (Toker)
- Fallingwater: Frank Lloyd Wright’s Romance With Nature (Waggoner)
- Frank Lloyd Wright's House on Kentuck Knob (Hoffman)
- back-issues of the Quarterly (FLW Foundation)

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

FarmerBill-

Nice list, and nicely done.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

Excellent lists.

I have learned more about FLW from his drawings and his own writings than any other source. He can be hard to read and plays loose with the facts but if its architecture you're interested in, that's where to find it.

Get a set of "Frank Lloyd Wright Complete Works" (and a good magnifying glass) before they go out of print, and his "An Autobiography". Another angle to understand his work is a knowledge of the things that inspired him such as Japanese art prints, the music of Beethoven and Bach, and natural environment.

doug k

FarmerBill

Post by FarmerBill »

Yes, Wright can certainly be hard to read. I've read dozens of books about him, but could not get through An Autobiography written BY him. In places, it's pure gobbledygook. In Fallingwater Rising (p. 232), Toker refers to Wright's philosophy of organic architecture in The Natural House as being spelled out "amid the usual tangle of Wrightian rhetoric." That about says it all.

The letters series (Letters to Architects, Letters to Clients, and Letters to Apprentices), all selected and edited by Pfeiffer, are easier to read than the autobiography, but even in some of the letters the reader can get bogged down.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Anything by Bruce Brooks Pfieffer.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

dk

Post by dk »

Wow...this is a great list of suggestions...looks like I will not only have enough for the Holidays, but also enough for some Birthday presents as well.

Thank you all for your suggestions and a BIG thank you for all of the discussions on this site. Being a greenhorn to FLW and his works, this forum is a wonderful resource.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Any title about Wright by Donald Hoffman. Also, Wright's own The Natural House (1954) is a primer on the Usonian house and one of his most readable books.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

If you read any of the biographies on FLW -- Gill, Secrest, Twombly -- be aware that there are egregious errors in them. I have a rare bio that came out at the same time as "Many Masks" titled "An American Genius" by Harvey Einbinder which has recently been reissued in paper. From what little I've read, it seems much more credible than the others, but it is dull! That's why I've never gotten up the courage to plow through it. Gill was a terrific writer, but Einbinder? Not so much.

Another interesting book that may be hard to find is a collection of newspaper columns by FLW and the Taliesin Fellowship (1934-1937) "At Taliesin" compiled by a fellow named Randolph C. Henning in 1992.

FTA

Post by FTA »

Former Taliesin Apprentice

SDR

Post by SDR »

The work -- studied in photos and (especially ?) drawing, visited, occupied for hours or days at a time, if possible -- is the point, I think. One reads about the man, and pursues his own writing, out of curiosity to learn where that work came from -- with greater or lesser satisfaction, depending on the source.

Wright's own words are less revealing about the meat and matter of his work than is almost any other source, it seems to me. He is (nearly) always at pains to burnish his legend, to wreathe his own crown with the magic and the mystery of Genius. How will one learn the truth -- interesting or otherwise -- that way ?

"What a man does -- that, he has" said Wright -- and let that be the clue as to where to find him.

SDR

pharding

Post by pharding »

The 5 volume set of Collected Writings by Brooks Pfeiffer are excellent. It is always interesting to read what FLW personally wrote.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn