Taliesin Architects / Fellowship Bashing?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Taliesin Architects / Fellowship Bashing?

Post by Guest »

I have noticed that there has been a lot of bashing of Taliesin Architects and the Fellowship on the Forum along with this chat board as well. Can anyone tell me exactly why TA and the Fellowship has gotten no respect in the present day and also when FLW was alive and heading up the organization?

In my view, some very good architects have come out of Taliesin. Although, it seems to have stopped in recent years.

This is in no way an argument. I am just wondering what other FLW fans views are.

Thank you.

EJ

Post by EJ »

I think part of the attitude stems from the FLLW Elite who dislike the fact that TA tries to sell unbuilt designs from FLLW at outrageous prices that end up being not like what FLLW intended.

Personally, I've seen some terrific designs by TA.

I'd be interested to know what everyone else thinks.
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

apboy2

T(ough) A(ct) to Follow(ship)

Post by apboy2 »

Seems to me that TA and the Fellowship are in a no-win situation: their work on one hand can be dismissed as derivative of FLW or, if they try too hard NOT to be "derivative," they expose themselves to criticism that they've abandoned FLW's organic principles.

Can anybody recommend a book, Web site, etc., about TA's work? I haven't seen enough of it to have really strong opinions about how it relates to what Mr. Wright created.
"Well, there you are!"

Post by Guest »

One thing I have noticed is that there is little talk and little publicity on any FLW Legacy residential design that has been built. I know of two in Hawaii and one in Cincinnati. I heard the one in Cincinnati was built for $500k. There is also the clubhouse at Gold Mountain. I have been there and I can say that it is nice but I didn

Jon Autry

Post by Jon Autry »

It is my understanding that Taliesin Architects is currently disbanded. I don't know if this permanent, but the last I heard this was the case.

Take care,

Jon

DRN

Post by DRN »

Books or publications with Taliesin Fellows work:

"A Taliesin Legacy" by Tobias Gugenheimer

"A Living Architecture" by John Rattenbury

"House Beautiful" Magazine October 1959

(Best found at online used booksellers)

Websites:

http://www.agaarchitects.com

http://www.robertgreen.com

http://www.schildrotharchitect.com

There are many others. Try google-ing the following names:

Fay Jones

William Wesley Peters

John H. Howe

John Lautner

Curtis Besinger

Peter Berndtson

Kamal Amin

Stephen Nemtin

Organic Architects who were not directly associated with Wright:

Bruce Goff

Bart Prince

Herb Green

Will Bruder

Wendell Burnette

This is just a start. There is more published than you think. The mainstream architectural press seems to avoid Organic Architecture for the most part.

Happy hunting.