Construction update at Florida Southern College visitor cent

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jmcnally

Construction update at Florida Southern College visitor cent

Post by jmcnally »

I have posted a few photos (on my website) of the construction at the college. It is very early in the process - mainly site preparation.

http://www.flwright.us/flw.facultyhousing.htm

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

the red concrete mat is poured....

video
http://www.buildingtheusonianhouse.com/

jmcnally

FSC

Post by jmcnally »

I plan to add photos as they make progress

Tom

Post by Tom »

Jmcnally, Thanks for the pics. Do you have any idea how the bottom course is secured to the slab and that bottom stone "plinth" trim piece?
Also, looking forward to you documentation of this. You must live around there? Especially interested in how they're going to levitate that carport roof!
Thanks again.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I can't answer any technical questions because I don't have that proficiency (especially here in Florida, where they don't have basements; I'm much more used to Michigan construction methods).

I am sure that others will have that knowledge, and this is probably a good thread to pose those ongoing questions.

I do keep an apartment in the area, so I plan to monitor the progress on a regular basis.

jmcnally

slab poured

Post by jmcnally »

The slab has been poured and is being cured with the assistance of a lawn sprinkler. I also got a less-obstructed view of the brick samples. I'll post new photos in the next couple days.

michaelmaguire

Construction Chronicle

Post by michaelmaguire »

FYI, we are producing a chronicle of the construction of the Usonian house at Florida Southern College. Please check in regularly at:

BuildingTheUsonianHouse

Perhaps Mr McNally and I will bump into each other on the "superintendent's" sidewalk sometime.

Michael

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

I look forward to it! call me Jim.

Your website is excellent and it's great you have such access to the job site. It will be much better for readers to follow the progress on your web page - I won't feel pressured to keep up so much!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh yeah, I see steel pipe columns already in. Ready I suppose to tie down those cantilever ends.

Deke

Post by Deke »

Interesting stuff, but i can't help wonder if this flat slab construction is more complex than just creating a traditional foundation with crawl space. But then Wright was the master at designing simple things that require a lot more work.

Who is the local architect? I'd like to know how they took an old design and updated it with I assume the latest tech and code demands.

Deke

Tom

Post by Tom »

Architects: http://www.mcwb-arch.com/
But don't know of they have local representatives or not.

Anybody know what the big blue pipes are underneath the slab?

Tom

Post by Tom »

Also, any body know what the small copper pipes are that come vertically out of the dirt and then spread radially and horizontally out 360 degrees?

egads

Post by egads »

The blue PVC is underfloor A/C ducts. The little copper pipes have something to do with a geothermal heat pump.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Tom wrote:Architects: http://www.mcwb-arch.com/
But don't know of they have local representatives or not.

Anybody know what the big blue pipes are underneath the slab?
Underground duct work.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

FSC Projects on the architect's website:
http://www.mcwb-arch.com/projects/educational/fsc.html