Construction update at Florida Southern College visitor cent

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Egads: any idea who manufactures those pvc airducts? (I'll web search)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Here's what I found:
http://www.akduct.com/

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Tom wrote:Also, anybody know what the small copper pipes are that come vertically out of the dirt and then spread radially and horizontally out 360 degrees?
Still looking for an answer to this question. Anybody??

michaelmaguire

Post by michaelmaguire »

The copper pipes are part of a geothermal heat pump system. They are laid on the south and east sides now and will be installed on the north and west as well when the other work permits.

See this for more info

http://www.buildingtheusonianhouse.com/resources.html

and her are more pics

http://02f7a98.netsolhost.com/JulyGallery/index5.html

Mike

Rood

Post by Rood »

Mr. Maquire. You seem knowledgeable about construction of the "faculty house" at Florida Southern. Can you verify if the structure is based on the plan mentioned below? If so, have any changes been made to Wright's design ... either in plan or elevation?

Rood

The Usonian House is undoubtedly the Faculty House featured in Frank Lloyd Wright Monograph: 1937-1941... plates 165-166.

The plan is a slight variation of the more commonly known Hause house project from the 1940 Usonia housing development for Lansing, Michigan ... the same design which, over the years, went through many variations, including but not limited to Loveness I.

Plans and elevations can be found here:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewtopic.php?t=5639

michaelmaguire

Post by michaelmaguire »

I think the answer is yes. Some changes to the original plans are required to meet modern codes and hurricane readiness, but in its essence it is what Wright designed. According to more knowledgeable sources, it is the first Wright structure built for the original client on the original site since 1966, so I imagine it to be as close to his vision as practical.

See this for more info:

http://www.theledger.com/article/201107 ... l&tc=pgall

Mike

Rood

Post by Rood »

Thank you, Mr. Maguire. You bring good news.

Do you know if it's possible to post a floor plan of the new structure, here?

michaelmaguire

Post by michaelmaguire »

I'm sorry I don't. But I'll look into it.

Mike

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mr. Maquire:

I would like you to suggest to the powers that are running the website that they add a page that includes the specific names (and websites) of the manufacturers who are producing the materials and fixtures used in the house.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Second that.
Like a list of credits, good advertising as well.

michaelmaguire

Post by michaelmaguire »

Gentlemen,

The website is ours (The Maguires of Lakeland) and your suggestions are welcome and will be considered. If you will post comments on the blog, we may all be better informed as we gain readers and interested parties who may know a lot more than we do.

Thank you for your interest.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Okay, I've started some questions on the Maguire Usonian site. It's hard to understand the sequencing of the photos.
Anyway it looks like the small copper tube radial array is attached to a vertical black pvc goethermal tube well. What I don't understand is that the horizontal copper tubes runs are in the bottom of a pit maybe as far down as ten feet from the house slab itself. I've never seen this. Don't understand what's going on.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mr. Maguire,
Do you know the manufacturer of the geothermal system being used?

michaelmaguire

Post by michaelmaguire »

Good morning.

The photos are sequenced in descending date (and time) order and reflect the fact that I take them rather randomly. Based on the article I found regarding geothermal heat pumps in general,

http://www.buildingtheusonianhouse.com/resources.html

it looks like the field of copper is there to provide a large base of constant temperature, which will eventually encircle the house. I don't have any data on suppliers or manufacturers but I don't mind trying to find it.

Michael

Tom

Post by Tom »

Has anybody else tried to post a comment to the Maguire website: Building The Usonian? I've tried but my remarks don't seem to get posted? No big deal just curious.