Mary Adams Rehabilitation

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Patryko

Post by Patryko »

The Mary Adams House made #19 of '20 Pieces of Architectural Brilliance in Illinois' along with 5 other Wright works. I thought I would share the article.

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/illinois ... ecture-il/

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

A question about #5 (Dana-Thomas) in Patryko's link: is that turmeric-yellow concrete what's really there?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Reidy wrote:...is that turmeric-yellow concrete what's really there?
Dana House images

David

Patryko

Post by Patryko »

Another thing that I keep forgetting to mention is kiddy-corner across the street from the Mary Adams house is a 1900 Silsbee Shingle Style house. It is fun to see the evolvement from Silsbee's 1900 work to Wright's 1905 work.

Here's a link to a historic walking tour brochure from the Highland Park Historic Preservation Commission. The Silsbee house is at 1894 Lake Avenue and you'll see a small picture.

https://www.cityhpil.com/DocumentCenter/View/6865

SDR

Post by SDR »

The onlyinyourstate list includes Unity Temple, with a date that's fully four years off. (In the 'seventies Storrer was calling this building "Unity Church.") The photo reminds us that the design includes surprisingly classical square-section columns.

SDR

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Reidy wrote:A question about #5 (Dana-Thomas) in Patryko's link: is that turmeric-yellow concrete what's really there?
I'll be visiting D-T next Friday, so I'll get you some fresh color shots.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Reidy, I think that image must be old. I don't believe the color is quite so bold anymore. The turmeric hue was controversial when the restoration was first done in the '90s, but seems to be accurate. Don Hallmark and the restoration architects did a first-class job on the house.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Patryko

Post by Patryko »

Thanks for posting David. It is nice that our local schools saw the light and reinstated the Illinois tax assessment freeze for historic preservation. We have a historic tax freeze for the Mary M.W. Adams House because it existed in 2011-the article is incorrect on dates. The schools withdrew participation after that and have now reinstated. The only community that currently does not have the Illinois tax assessment freeze for historic preservation is the Village of Riverside.