Former Employees of FLW with Great Careers in Architecture

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
pharding

Post by pharding »

Edgar Kaufmann, Jr. is in as a Lesser Luminary because with input his father built 2 of the greatest buildings in the history of world architecture. He is also there for the preservation of Fallingwater.
Last edited by pharding on Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

pharding

Post by pharding »

In the special Black Hole Category is Olgivanna Lloyd Wright. She is there, not because of her bad architectural sense which she had an abundance, but because she had Frank Lloyd Wright's body disinterred in Spring Green, cremated, and mixed with her ashes as the ultimate crime against Frank Lloyd Wright. Frank Lloyd Wright had decided to be be buried at Unity chapel in Spring Green in the incredibly beautiful valley where it all began as a boy and where he created so many great architectural works. For him to be buried there was the perfect final resting place for Frank Lloyd Wright.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

I endorse Mr Paul Harding's description. Olgivanna's action was the ultimate crime against Frank Lloyd Wright. The absolute betrayal of trust.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Lesser luminaries:
Robert Carrol May
John DeKoven Hill
Earl Nisbet
Robert Green
Arthur Dyson (my favorite living Architect)
William Burnoudy
Mark Mills
Daniel Liebermann
Bob Beharka
Fred Langhorst
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

In regards to Olgivanna-

In her defense, however (I find that I often need to be the devil's advocate...) Wright was arguably at his most productive during the time spent with Olgivanna. Maybe her incredibly vain sin(s) might be forgiven if we remember that she probably propped him up more than once. And we do tend to forgive Wright for his numerous vanities... An architect or designer she surely wasn't, but her influence is difficult to weigh. Could it be that Wright would have imploded were it not for her? We tend to dismiss the Gurdjieff movement so quickly, but wasn't the structure of the Fellowship at least partially modeled after many of his concepts?

We are discussing apprentices; would the opportunity have existed for so many curious young people, (and yes, "a woman is a fellow here") to meet and work with the master, if Wright had not crossed paths with this woman?
Last edited by peterm on Sun May 22, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

Surely there is no defense against such an outrageous action?

What of the symbolism? FLLW’s architectural life had effectively commenced in The Valley, where he had worked on Unity Chapel, and it was appropriate that his remains rested there.

Olgivanna had control of his funeral arrangements in April 1959. He died in Arizona, so why return his body to Wisconsin at that time? Did she calculate that her real wishes would be carried out faithfully upon her passing, by the spineless individuals who were pleased to call themselves Apprentices?

As is well known, the Gurdjieff concepts were responsible for creating division in the Fellowship, between those who were interested in developing their ability as architects, and those who were bedazzled, or intimidated, by Olgivanna. What she knew about Architecture could have been written on the back of a postage stamp, and still have left plenty of room.

As Roderick Grant has reiterated on a number of occasions, Frank Lloyd Wright was not a teacher, and never set out to be. If there was any teaching at Taliesin it was by osmosis. Those who worked in the studios, and later had outstanding careers, would have been luminaries in any event. The others were ‘hewers of wood and drawers of water’. Real architects are born, not made.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I am surely not defending her outrageous action, but I also most certainly can not defend the demonization of a person who Wright chose to live much of his life with, for wouldn't that also be demonizing him? I thought we were making a list of the men who went on to have great careers, not which women could be condemned...
Last edited by peterm on Sun May 22, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Robert Carroll May is in.

Thewes

Post by Thewes »

Don Erickson,
and I am not sure if he has been mentioned yet or not, but Alden Dow

also,
Gary Tucker
Mark Mills
Milton Stricker
William Bernoudy

pharding

Post by pharding »

Don Erickson is in for designing a spectacular home for himself and his family. Plus he gave one of my projects the Presidential Award which confirmed his fine taste and judgement.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Mark Mills is in. Alden Dow is in the Luminary + category.

The problem that I am having with many of the Taliesin Apprentice nominees is that there work so derivative of the work of Frank Lloyd Wright.

All nominees will be thoughtfully considered by the jury.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Gary Tucker is in.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Milton Strickler is in.

pharding

Post by pharding »

Fred Langhorst is in.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

Paul, understanding your problem with the derivative nature of work done by Wright's apprentices, I remember reading an interview with John Howe relating his recognition of this. He said simply that his clients did not come to him because he was John Howe, they came to him because he had been at Taliesin.

Doug Kottum