Harry Robinson's James Nichols House for Sale (Naperville)

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jhealy

Harry Robinson's James Nichols House for Sale (Naperville)

Post by jhealy »

Harry Robinson's James Nichols House, located at 401 E. Highland Avenue, Naperville, IL, is for sale for $575,000. Here is the only listing I found:

http://www.movoto.com/il/401-e-highland ... 745088.htm

From the outside, the house appears to need a good bit of work. I suspect it has been neglected for some time. While jogging by today, I saw that there was an estate sale at the house today, which might explain some of that need. The house is in a nice location, just a few blocks to downtown Naperville.

A few more pictures of the house can be seen at: http://www.mcnees.org/

Jay

SDR

Post by SDR »

Where do I look for images of the house on the mcnees site ?

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

He's got a FLW link at the top of the page, hit that, and then hit the link to Naperville. There's only three picture of the exterior - not sure how much else they really give you.

Jay

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Jay. The Truitt house is somewhat Wrightian, and the Givler owes much (if not everything) to Griffin. The Nichols is perhaps the most original (or at least, the least Prairie) of the trio ? An all-brick house is a treasure in any event, to my eye.

SDR

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

This house is under contract. That was fast, especially in this market.

Jay

pharding

Post by pharding »

The asking price is a fair price for a large house in a great location.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

I agree, Mr. Harding.

I'm cautiously excited to see what the new owners will do. I'll be jogging by the house often, and I'll post updates.

Jay

Redmama9

Fearful of Demolition

Post by Redmama9 »

Word around town is The Nichols Home in Naperville is "unprotected" as it is not in the local Historic District. Per a Tribine article from 1986, the original district was to include Highland Avenue but sadly, the city changed the boundaries. However, per The Trib the Federal Historic District does include the local treasure. Is this enough to protect the home in case the soon to be owners (who I believe currently live behind Nichols Home) decide not to restore it? Sadly, common practice as of late in the area has been to tear down magnificent homes simply to have a larger yard. If needed, do local Preservationists have a leg to stand on? It is a Harry Robinson!

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

The sale must have closed. The realtor's sign showing under contract has been removed and the house now looks completely vacant. No sign of construction/demolition yet. I'll keep everyone posted.

The Nichols house is not in the Naperville historic district, but it does have a plaque from the City of Naperville identifying it as an historic structure. I'm not sure what protection, if any, that offers.

The new house recently built just to the North of the Nichols house (looks like backyards meet) already has a new fancy fence around the property, so let's hope that the owner of the new house did not by Nichols for a bigger back yard (although, from the looks of the new house, they probably have the funds needed). The new house took the place of a nice, but smaller home built in the late 1800's, but it was not protected because it fell on the other (South) side of Chicago Avenue, and just outside the historic district.

Jay

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

For sale sign is back up at the house.

Jay

pharding

Post by pharding »

It sounds like the mortgage application fell short. The new Federal lending standards are brutal. One needs perfect plus credit and the appraisers are incredibly conservative about property values. If one can qualify for the mortgage, one can get great deals on historic FLW properties at all time low mortgage rates. It is also a great time to refinance. At Wells Fargo one can refinance for 3.25 percent with zero points on a ten year deal. The maximum loan amount is $417,000 at that rate.

Harry Robinson did a spectacular Prairie House on a beautiful boulevard in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It is close to the design quality of FLW's Prairie Houses.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mr. Harding,

I believe the house you are referring to is the J.B. Franke House, Fort Wayne, Indiana (1914) by Barry Byrne.

more photos: http://www.prairieschooltraveler.com/ht ... ranke.html

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

Here is a link to the "new" listing - it even has a couple of interior pictures ... looks to be in rough shape:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom ... 6609-85049

Jay

pharding

Post by pharding »

Paul Ringstrom wrote:Mr. Harding,

I believe the house you are referring to is the J.B. Franke House, Fort Wayne, Indiana (1914) by Barry Byrne.

more photos: http://www.prairieschooltraveler.com/ht ... ranke.html
That is the house. It is very cool and and in fine condition from the exterior.

jhealy

Post by jhealy »

Sold sign back up at H. Robinson's house.

Jay