For sale: An "inspired-by-Wright" house in Carmel

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

For sale: An "inspired-by-Wright" house in Carmel

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh. Should Wrightians be insulted by the invoking of the word Fallingwater in connection with this house -- or relieved that it bears virtually no resemblance to the "original" ?

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

This points out a difference between The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. This property would not have been written up in the Times; they are more discriminating. The story ultimately is really about the money invested, the equity gained, and the status of having "arrived"...

pharding

Post by pharding »

Realtors love drop Frank Lloyd Wright's name when describing a house. Somehow in their mind's eye it elevates the ordinary into something more special. I once tried to sell my faithful 1974 VW Beetle as "inspired by Mustang Mach 1". That did not work either.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

CEP

Post by CEP »

in the broadest of terms, I can understand the 'inspired by' moniker (the stratified stone surfaces vs the smooth faced desks). every time there's a Mark Mills property available in the area, there's always the Wright tie-in included. Those few miles of Carmel/Pebble Beach coastal beach properties would have been even more wonderful had the additional three houses all been built (Nesbitt, Clark and Haldorn). However on the other side of this issue, I did let the realtor that was recently selling the Nesbitt/Pebble Beach property know of the land's history - he seemed only mildly interested and I've not seen anything subsequently listed to indicate the Wright connection.

Krasset

Post by Krasset »

I have a feeling that the price will go down further. I think certain people love name dropping? Whether it was that so-and-so celebrity lived there or that it was Wright-inspired or it inspired so and so author to create the best selling book of all time, buyers seem attracted by big names. I'm sure it is a lovely house that doesn't necessarily need any comparisons to great architects. From the realtor reviews and from referrals, what is a good realtor for the Carmel area?
Last edited by Krasset on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Paul, you might have done better with "Engineered by Ferdinand Porsche" . . . ?

I have a feeling that most of us like dropping a name, now and then. Honesty, however, is still the best policy. As Judge Judy likes to say, when you tell the truth you don't need a good memory . . .

S :shock:

peterm

Post by peterm »

Maybe I am in the minority on this one, but it seems clear to me that there is no dishonesty at all in stating that the designer of this house was "inspired by Wright".

Isn't the question really whether he or she was sensitive and masterful in incorporating any of the techniques, skills or ideas which are apparent in any work by Wright? In this case, the skill just doesn't measure up to the inspiration, and the resemblance to Wright's work is superficial and only apparent in the use of certain materials.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right. And, as such, it might be an instance of what Mr Wright called "spitting in the master's coffee" ?

I believe that a great number of architects over the course of the past 100 years have been inspired, in one way or another, by Wright's work -- likely more than were affected by any other single architect. But this doesn't mean that one can recognize "body parts" of the master's work, in theirs. And, aping Wright, many a Wrightian would assert that none of this "inferior architecture" can hold a candle to the "original." That is a matter of opinion, or taste. But the man who shows the way, and goes further in his chosen direction than do most of the others, will of course stand out -- naturally.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"...Most can raise the flowers now, / For all have got the seed."

What the occasional Carmelite or Australian does with his FLW inspiration is not of much importance or consequence, but what the self-anointed keepers of the flame do is another thing.

JamesTroxler

Re: For sale: An "inspired-by-Wright" house in Carmel

Post by JamesTroxler »

Email marketing has become widely used because of its convenience and its wide reach for a small amount of time. However, to be successful in email marketing, you need a reliable real estate database with emails list that will provide you with up-to-date email addresses of accredited real estate agents. Here, we guarantee to provide you email information that 100 percent works all the time.

Paul Ringstrom

Re: For sale: An "inspired-by-Wright" house in Carmel

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond