Help w/ plans

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Macrodex

Help w/ plans

Post by Macrodex »

If anyone has plans/info on these houses, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks.

Boynton (not sure if this render matches what was built; I haven't seen enough of Boynton)

Schroeder

Gladney

Feshback

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Macrodex,
Please identify the books that were your source for these photos.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Boynton is the only one of the first 3 shown that was constructed. Feshback is post-FLW, a TAA project. It might be published in John Rattenbury's book.

Boynton perspective is close to the as-built design of the entrance facade, except that the porte cochere was not constructed.

Schroeder (1911) plan is in Mono 3, pp 168-9. Starting out as a stucco house with a rather formal plan, it was converted to brick. Based on the detail of some of the drawings, this was a house FLW expected to be constructed. There is a kinship with Sherman Booth #1, but much less ambitious.

Gladney (1924) Mono 5, pg 12 and Taschen pp 134-136, is the second of two schemes. Both seem to have come out of the blue; I cannot think of anything FLW did prior or after that comes close to these designs. He must not have been pleased with them, although the plan for #2 is not at all bad.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Schroeder (sorry if difficult to read; I'm new at this image stuff). Mono #12:

Image[/img]

Gladney Scheme 1 (Mono #3):

[/img]ImageImage[/img]

Deke

Post by Deke »

Gladney looks like the Teens-20's era when he was overdosing on ornament. The Imperial Hotel, beer garden, concrete block houses, and the Lake Tahoe projects all fit into this period of Wright's work. It is lesser studied than the Prairie or the Usonian periods, most likely cause not many of the designs of this era were built. Wright may be thankful that they weren't.

Deke

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Deke- the Gladney perspective JimM posted looked at first like the Lake Tahoe project .... It is beautiful in design. I think I see little bit of Sander in it and a little Eaglefeather too
Last edited by Jeff Myers on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JAT
Jeff T

JimM

Post by JimM »

Variant on Scheme #1. Note the facade differences; looks like awnings ala Storrer terrace.

Image[/img]

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

WHOA JimM... That is really cool, glad you figured out the photo postings... you just gave my eyes something to awe at and I haven't seen it before...
JAT
Jeff T

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Hey Jim would you happen to know of the Harry G. John Jr. Dormitory? I have a perspective of it and didn't know what lies beyond that perspective, while we are discussion perspectives and plans
JAT
Jeff T

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

What's with that blanket or rug hanging over the parapet of the Gladney schemes? Everything in perfect symmetry, except the rug. We see that repeatedly in his perspectives, and in the Taliesin theatre. It seems to add something to the building, but I'm not sure what.

Doug

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

The Feshback perspective makes me want to live there now. The swooping roof, the massing of the planters and chimney, the patina copper, all in Wrightian scale and set in that garden-like site appeal greatly to me. How about those copper triangles extending slightly below the parapet.

Doug

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I've come across one project that recalls Gladney: Lake Tahoe "Barge for Two." It's in Levine, page 173. The houses, not so much, but the barges bear an undeniable resemblance.

In an interior perspective of Guggenheim, instead of a blanket hanging over the parapet, a child is looking over the edge, playing with his yo-yo.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

The exterior woodwork on Gladney seems to be a very close cousin in design to son Lloyd Wright's Taggart House (which pre-dates it by two years).

Another picture

David

JimM

Post by JimM »

Sorry Jeff, this is probably the perspective you have, but I haven't been able to find anything out about it yet ("Frank Lloyd Wright Drawings", Abrams/FLLW Fnd.)

Image[/img]

JimM

Post by JimM »

Another image of the barge from Mono #12 (a little clearer than Levine):

[/img]ImageImageImageImage