John Howe Cottage question. Please help me find thread.

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
goffmachine

John Howe Cottage question. Please help me find thread.

Post by goffmachine »

Hello everyone.
Im sorry to ask such a dumb/embarrassing question. But I cant remember the name or place where I saw this Howe design.
Im looking for an image I think it was black and white from a magazine or brochure for a very small cottage designed by John Howe. I cant recall the name. I do remember though that there was a drawing of the plan and it was very triangular and that the bedroom was behind the fireplace of the living space.
Can someone please help me with my mental block? And please help me find the thread where I can see the plan and images once again?
Thanks.
Last edited by goffmachine on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Perhaps this is the thread you are thinking of.

David

goffmachine

maybe

Post by goffmachine »

I think this may be it but does anyone remember the images Im refering to?
Id love to see the plan again.
Last edited by goffmachine on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

outside in

Post by outside in »

you may be referring to Howe's living quarters across the valley from Taliesin? Graves still owns the farm and the house.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The Toby Royston cottage in Exton, PA, discussed in the thread noted by TnGuy was never published, so a plan would only be visible via Howe's archive at the University of Minnesota.

Howe's own cottage, noted by outside in, was published in the October 1959 issue of House Beautiful. The article included a plan.

There were some similarities between the Royston and Howe cottages.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Howe Cottage at Taliesin was enlarged from what appears in the HB article. It was on the market several years ago. There is a thread somewhere on this site, but I don't know how to find it. It must date back to '03 or '04.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I put this in Search: Howe AND cottage AND Taliesin

and got four responses. Here's one:

http://savewright.org/wright_chat/viewt ... e+taliesin

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That's the cottage as originally built (and as good as any Howe house). Many alterations were made, however, and the photos from the realtor's site showed some of them, although did not, as I recall, show how the floorplan had been altered by the additions.

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

The cottage's living room layout--long bank of windows, corner fireplace, wooden dividing unit next to the fireplace--is used in one of Howe's early Madison houses, the Stewart and Jacqueline Macaulay House (1963)

It was on the Wright in Wisconsin tour of a couple years ago. We were told it was Howe's first independent commission. It's right next door to a WW Peter's house.

In the Madison house, though, I think the wooden divider conceals the dining area from the living room, if I'm remembering right, as opposed to defining the galley kitchen as it does in the cottage.

The house was happily still in the hands of the original owners.

PNB

Post by PNB »

I wasn't aware of this cottage - where near Taliesin is it? I'd like to drive by it in my next visit.

goffmachine

SDR is a genius!!!

Post by goffmachine »

Thank you SDR!!! You are a genius.
That was the link! :D
I can sleep now.
Looks great.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Phew. That was the first time I tried three key words in Search -- and it worked.

My Life Theory of Stuff: "Everything is Somewhere." Glad we could help !

S