The urban Usonian??????

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
KevinW

The urban Usonian??????

Post by KevinW »

KevinW

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another entry in the Gratuitous FLLW Reference catalog. Somewhere someone is adding up the list, and there's going to be a Day of Reckoning for a lot of second-rate realtors and third-string journalists . . . !

S D R

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Neither client, architect nor journalist recognize that this is not a FLW Usonian, but an IKEA display.

lang

Post by lang »

Hmm... Im a newbie, but I really haven't seen white drywall in anything called Usonian. I guess anything with an open floorplan is "Wright inspired". :/ What's next, a Usonian single wide trailer?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right you are. Mr Wright designed the Usonian to be made without plasterwork -- or its latter-day substitutes. No paint, either . . .

S

modjohn

Post by modjohn »

I was thinking about SDR's statement: Mr Wright designed the Usonian to be made without plasterwork. Wright only used plaster/paint in a few Usonians, Schaberg being the only one I can recall at the moment.

But, if someone wanted to build a Usonian style home today, it would seem impractically expensive not to use wallboard for the majority of the interior finish. Of course, white paint could never be considered as an option!

You would still want to utilize wood and masonry where possible, but in order to keep building costs somewhat reasonable, I feel you would have to utilize wallboard.

So, looking for some opinions on this. Is there any middle ground or would it be considered sacrilege?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Speaking of Urban Usonian got me thinking of my latest design.
My design is located on a lake, but easily can adapt to a small lot. I keep seeing things called Usonian but they don't look to what Wright would have used in his designs.
I am still a student but am gaining more knowledge on Architecture.
To me it looks more International Style/ Contemporary Ranch... most people get International style and Usonian as one thing when it is not. Just because of the red floor, the small footprint, white walls and, from what the photos show, rectangular, does not make it Usonian.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

. . . and especially not white walls, I guess we're saying . . .

There are two different questions:

1) WWWD (What would Wright do) ?

2) What would I want in my house ?

S D R

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't know that WWWD would be an appropriate question. "Most can plant the flower now / For all have got the seed." Whatever sort of domicile one wants for oneself, it should be original expression, not a guess at what a man dead for 51 years would have done. Wasn't that his point all along?

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

As is so often the case with these topics, Roderick Grant has made the most significant contribution in this instance.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Taking from what Roderick said "That, as we have the seed it can turn into what you want, not what is in style currently, but your own, your home, your freedom in which you express as YOU that Seed is what you are and what you set on the land the Nature of that seed will grow into a home that is not of ones own design but yours. Frank Lloyd Wright planted many seeds that grew into homes. His apprentices took the same seed and planted their own style but taking from the main root but turning it into their own. Even though the root of so many has been gone for 51 years the teaching of and studies of that root are still with us. Nature gives up a tree but a Tree is born again from that main tree, then that tree will do the same. We are many seeds but we make it our own but we keep what the main root taught us years ago."
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

As is so often the case with these topics, Jeff Myers has made the most significant contribution in this instance ?

Wright Chat is so fun !

S

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Simply credit Roderick I just built on top of what he said...
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is that what that was ?

Anyway, let's welcome back Laurie Virr. . . !

Stephen

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

no props for the person who started this thread???..just kidding...
KevinW