Alpaugh Residence

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
erikm1109

Alpaugh Residence

Post by erikm1109 »

I know that there has/had been several people trying to find the Alpaugh Residence in Northport, MI.

The house is very secluded, and relatively hard to find as many local people are not even aware of its existence.

This is the closest of any view you will get by finding it via roadside:

The house itself is rather small, but very distinctly FLW.

Here are several pictures of the exterior:

I have many other pictures but all are currently on film, as i only had my 35mm with me. I will be posting more when I have the time on my hands.

I figured I would post pictures of it since there are no others to be found on the web at this time as far as I was able to find.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

erikm1109-

Thanks so much for sharing your photos of this elusive FLW design. We'll all look forward to seeing more once you have a chance to get your other photos developed and posted.

And BTW, welcome to Wright Chat, and thanks again.

erikm1109

Post by erikm1109 »

Thank you for the welcome. =) I have always been a huge FLW fan, as I live in a home designed by an understudy of Alden B Dow.

There is some work being done to the house at this moment, you can see a sawhorse in one picture. I'll have more digital pictures by then end of this week, fingers crossed. They are calling for snow up here, which makes driving up hills in a VW a little hard.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Welcome erikm1109, and thanks for the pics. Good to see the house is well kept.

I never quite understood the Alpaugh design. From the plans published in the Monograph, it seemed to have geometries that were unusual for Wright and seemed less ordered and rhythmic than his other house designs of the era.

erikm1109

Post by erikm1109 »

The house is unique in many aspects. Its so far from any other FLW house it's quite a surprise to even residents of the town.

It has been very well kept over the years, and had the roof re-done this last summer.

The town was/is a primarily agriculture supported industry, which adds to my surprise of the homes origins. Turns out my great-grandparents were good friends with the family while the house was being built. The current owners are family friends, which is how I was able to visit the house.

I am a restoration architect student, so this house is like a gold mine to me.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Sounds like fun erikm, enjoy. Might you be able to work your study of the house into a thesis?

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The roof looks to be a butterfly roof?
I like this design thanks for the photos,can not wait to see more erikm1109 and welcome to Wright Chat.
JAT
Jeff T

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Alpaugh is an interesting development in FLW's work, and I would bet has more input from Himself than many other post-WWII houses, because there's so little precedent for his apprentices to have drawn from - Abby Beecher Roberts about the only effort in that direction beforehand (with shed roofs, not butterfly). FLW's first schemes tend to be more basic (or lyrical) and later iterations become more sophisticated with the edges smoothed over. Compare Hickox to DD Martin, Jacobs I to Affleck; the former of each, a new idea stripped down to essentials, the latter, a more fully developed scheme. Harper is the progeny of Alpaugh. But if the second half of Alpaugh had been built, it would stand alone.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Wouldn't the Blair Residence in Wyoming fall into the same general lineage of design as Alpaugh and Harper?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There are a number of houses that could be considered part of the Roberts/Alpaugh lineage, such as Blair, Teater, Serlin, Shavin, Buehler, Stromquist, Eppstein, Levin, Dobkins. They are all basically flat-roofed houses of very simple design with a shed-roofed living room. Alpaugh has a simpler, rougher feel about it, less refined than the others.

peterm

Post by peterm »

http://www.theticker.tc/story/frank-llo ... n-michigan

Goats on the "butterfly" roof? And a portion of the playroom dedicated to those goats?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oak (or, even more rare, ash) and brick is an unusual material palette for Usonia. Wish there were more pics. Erik ?

The confusion re shed roof vs butterfly is disappointing, at this late date. Did Mr Wright ever draw a butterfly roof ?

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are the items making up the Alpaugh entry in Taschen. The helpful text is presumably the work of Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer.

detail, left

detail, right

Above entries from Frank Lloyd Wright 1943-1959, © 2009 TASCHEN GmbH and © 2009 The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

There's a lack of photos floating around the internet for the home, but I did find that a copy of the residence's blueprints was sold at auction just last year:

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/140 ... ngs-signed

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. A particularly fine drawing set, from the nine sheets presented. At least we have those . . .

(It's a pity that my screen shots of the auction images lose just a bit of resolution. I wonder how long the linked page will be active ?)

It's nice to see Mr Wright giving his drafter some leeway, as to lettering (in this case) -- this vertical "font" is most unusual for a Taliesin drawing. (Note, however, that the O is a circle, not an oval or a racetrack-shape.)

17 x 14-inch pages seem unusual; six of those could be cut from a 36 x 48 sheet.

These really are exceptionally nice drawings. It's a pity that original art like this was allowed to escape the files. I gather it happened again and again. If, as some say, Mr Wright valued the building more than its documentation, this habit (of sending originals to the site, to the client and/or the apprentice and builder) is proof enough ?

Description

Comprising 34 sheets from 1947, The Amy Alpaugh House, Northport, Michigan. Detailed list as follows: Drawing of greenhouse in 1.5" scale, layout plan .125" scale to 1', metalwork drawing, blueprint labeled 'Country Dwelling for Miss Amy Alpaugh, labeled for Frank Lloyd Wright, architect, elevation drawing sides and front, plumbing and heating, glass and millwork, custom chair and furniture, plan for living space, 2 goathouse drawings, greenhouse drawing, drawings for bedrooms, bath/utility and clerestory, porch, courtyard, hardware, workspace and clerestory, plan section of living space/sash and glass details .125" scale drawings on tracing paper (17" x 14"), the larger drawings measure (36" x 48"), topographic maps (30" x 38") some ozalids included; Greenhouse drawing has notations to Mr. Wright that a woodworking surface is much wanted by this woman (Amy Alpaugh), with written response by Frank Lloyd Wright stating "ok" with signature. Condition: Some sheets with slight losses around the corners and edges, creasing and light staining. 1 blueprint 30.5" x 35.5", 3 topographical 30" x 38", 13 sheets tracing paper measure 17" x 14", 14 vellum 36" x 48", 2 drawings 24" x 36", 1 sheet 21" x 30".

Provenance: Collection of Bob Schmidt of Traverse City, Michigan.

SDR