Ross House Construction Photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
outside in

Re: Ross House Construction Photos

Post by outside in »

thank you roderick, sdr and david.
We've added so much insulation to the roof that the snow only melts when the weather is right. Since the panels are on the second floor roof there are probably 10-15 days during the winter that they are out of commission with a snow cover. The sun angle is so low, and there are only a few hours that it would add that it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble to clean them off - my big money-making season is the summer! The house is all-electric and so is my car. Last month my total bill was $12!

DRN

Post by DRN »

Great project and presentation. The house is a gem.
I appreciate the inclusion of the original section drawings...I hadn't realized the original had built-in roof gutters. Your solution of reconfiguring the gutter and working the rigid insulation in such that it did not stand proud of the fascia/gutter line is elegant.
Kudos John.

outside in

Post by outside in »

thank you - it was a solution that worked well in two ways: added insulation and elimination of those horrible built-in gutters.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright never stopped playing with the built-in gutter, in the Prairie years; it would be hard to find two houses with an identical design. Here's the drawing for the George Millard house. I don't know what provision is made for draining this gutter; a pitch to the gutter is out of the question. And the 2x4 rafter, already minimal, is weakened just where it would want to retain its full dimension . . .

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

outside in wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:10 am
elimination of those horrible built-in gutters.
I concur. My home has those horrendous built-in gutters too. They collect leaves and tree debris and must be cleaned at least twice a year to keep the drains from plugging up. Mine are horizontal and about a foot wide.

They look nice, but don't work well.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond