Ross House Construction Photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Readers will be aware that the circle is used to indicate a square. Wnen I see diagrams of this kind I am inevitably reminded of a Yankee architect named Jonathan Hale, who mis-used the technique with hilarious results, dragging in everything but a passing dog to illustrate . . . something:

We remember that man is an order-seeking being. That which satisfies his innate desire for order will be praised . . .

https://books.google.com/books?id=nzqK8 ... se&f=false

The mandala, both "miraculous" and inevitable, is the perfect messenger of order and perfection. Architecture follows, naturally enough.

SDR

outside in

Post by outside in »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Love the porch windows, John -- a great solution to the enclosure of space without sacrificing the original intent and function.

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow, really well done.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thanks for posting this, John. And, congratulations on all of your hard and diligent work on saving Ross. I just wish that the magazine had done an even more in-depth article so folks could see and learn more about it.

David

outside in

Post by outside in »

thank you - I agree about the limits of magazine articles, unfortunately "the reader", it seems, has difficulty getting through any more than 4 pages. I really don't know of any other venue, do you?

SDR

Post by SDR »

John, do you have an office (or your own) website where information and images of your choosing could be displayed ? The issue then would be connecting that resource with those who would most like to see it; there are probably ways to do that which would amaze me.

Stafford Norris III was fortunate to have a client at the Willey house who apparently wished to memorialize the various restoration projects carried out there; a website devoted to the subject is out there somewhere, well illustrated and enhanced by a sophisticated graphic presentation. One could only hope that other enthusiastic and invested owners would follow suit ?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

<thewilleyhouse.com> is still out there.

peterm

Post by peterm »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Bringing the Ross House thread into post-outage search-ville.

search words: ross, glencoe, outside in, john, eifler, ravine, bluffs

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

outside in

Re: Ross House Construction Photos

Post by outside in »

We are very happy to announce that The Ross House project has been shortlisted by THE PLAN magazine for the sustainable design competition sponsored by Mitsubishi
https://www.theplan.it/eng/award-2020-h ... architects

SDR

Post by SDR »

Congratulations, John--some richly deserved recognition ? That 's a great image set; my first look at the new rear deck, among other things. Gorgeous.

I just love the coloration of the exterior. You have an apparently unique way with the finish of exterior woodwork on Wright restorations, going all the way back to Jacobs I. Bravo again !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The demolition of the purple barnacle must have been one of the most enjoyable moments of the entire project. Demo is so much fun. That horrible thing was worse than the 'pretend' stone glued to the front of Evans (which I hope will someday be given an "Eifler"). Now if a decent buyer for Keir can be found, and the family carbuncle done away with, your neighborhood should be prime!

How well does your array of solar panels work during the winter months? Do you go to the trouble of removing snow from the roof?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Great job w/ Ross, John. Thanks for posting this. The home has gone from 'Watch List' to 'Landmark' status under your guide. Congratulations! And, best to you in all of your continuing efforts!

David