Ross House Construction Photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

I made certain the 7 groundhogs I relocated had to cross 2 arterial streets, 1 Interstate, and the Jersey Turnpike to get back.

outside in

Post by outside in »

We read somewhere that they have to be transported at least 1/2 mile for them to relocate- they have quite a range in size too!

Rood

Post by Rood »

If anyone knows a good way to get rid of burrowing gophers and moles let me know.

classic form

Post by classic form »

.22 winchester

SDR

Post by SDR »

This thread has taken a . . . turn.

Keep it up !

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

My "friends" are always at home, and they seldom if ever come out to play, so a gun is absolutely worthless. Once, when I was trying to drown them out, a mole poked his head through the exit hole, gasping for air. I got him by bopping him on the head with the end of my hose. Ugly critters, and absolutely devastating to lawns and gardens.

egads

Post by egads »

Having once battled them, I have done some Googling. Here is my favorite, although impractical for a home sized problem: some golf course guy invented a machine with a long wand. One sticks the long wand into an entrance to a hole, then the wand fills the hole with propane that is then ignited. Boom! Dead moles & collapsed channels.

I bought the vile, keep away from children and other animals chemical pellets. Also a device that you stick onto the ground to place the pellets.

I have had two different neighbors do these things: one inserted road flares and the covered the hole with a stepping stone. It was amazing to watch just how many places in the yard smoke emerged.

Another neighbor attached a hose to his car and inserted that into the hole. Of. Course the car was aHonda so who knows how much actual exhaust was produced.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Rood wrote:If anyone knows a good way to get rid of burrowing gophers and moles let me know.
Fast-forward to 8:30 in this video to see how to deal with moles.

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When you relocate Chip 'N' Dale, aren't you just giving someone else your headache?

DRN

Post by DRN »

When you relocate Chip 'N' Dale, aren't you just giving someone else your headache?
I try to be a good neighbor...I release my "varmints" in a vacant semi- wooded field of about 10 acres sandwiched between a township's road maintenance yard and a heavy equipment contractor's yard, well away from residential properties.

outside in

done

Post by outside in »

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Outstanding!
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

Sweet. John gets the most out of the original trim pieces in his restorations, where they sometimes exhibit a lovely "unfinished" honey/ocher glow (see, for instance, Jacobs I and Mary Adams) -- in photos, at least ?

One thing I see in the design (always a pleasure to view in fresh condition !) is the syncopation of the vertical structural array (that's "studs" to you), first floor vs. second, at the windows. See the Evans residence for another example.

The roof and its fascia look good, don't they . . .

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Lovely, John!

Are you finished or is there still a "punch list"? (The exterior certainly appears to be complete...)

SDR

Post by SDR »

A wonderful picture, with the lush enclosing foliage. Is it still so green, in November ?

We see just a touch of the shadow of an open upstairs casement with its horizontal muntins; another shot with the windows shut would be nice, too.

SDR