Ross House Construction Photos

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
outside in

Post by outside in »

The photograph was taken in late September, just after the completion of the final coat of stucco. We were lucky enough to find the original stucco on the inside walls of the porch, so matching was pretty simple. The original stucco used a lath system that was new to the market (see below). The top coat was SPRAYED on, which I didn't know was possible in 1915, but the machine was called a Goldblatt stucco sprayer. Its similar to that used for dryvit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aha. That material is visible inside my 1928 apartment building, through a gap between the elevator cab and an interior wall.

Can you identify the house in the advertisement ?

SDR

outside in

Post by outside in »

its the Kissam House, my neighbor to the South.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The finished house looks great, kudos.

The magazine ad for the period stucco system is quite a find...had you discovered the ad prior to diving into your project, or did it give a name to what you found when the wall was opened? Were there any modern methods or materials you incorporated to the stucco with an eye toward longevity?

outside in

Post by outside in »

The Ad was discovered by the Glencoe Historical Society when researching the Ravine Bluffs Subdivision in preparation for the centennial celebration/tour this past September.

The gray base and scratch coat were fine - we simply added a top coat per the original.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Congratulations, John!

It's certainly come a long, long way since the removal of the 'Purple Carbuncle' way-back-when. The house looks outstanding. I'm sure your glad to have all of the work on it behind you now.

I'm not remembering, though - did you add any heating to the porch area?

David

outside in

Post by outside in »

thanks David,

yes, we ran supply and return air ducts in the crawl space under the porch - its actually the most comfortable room in the house!

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Great job, John.

I had the chance to meet the new owners of the Mary Adams House and get a tour. Wow! You did a great job on that one too! The owners furnished it perfectly.

How is the Winn House coming along?
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Patryko

Post by Patryko »

STUNNING, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING JOHN!!! I celebrate every time I go by. You have made the Ravine Bluffs subdivision complete and have finished the most unique house of the Ravine Bluffs lot--based on a rectangular plan rather than square.

Thanks for the kind comments Paul Ringstrom. You and your wife are a class act and thanks for your contributions to the world of architecture.

outside in

Post by outside in »

Finally - the deck is done - now its time for a break

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ross looks wonderful, John!

Congratulations! Now, kick your feet up, sit back and celebrate!

David

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Wow. It looks really good. Well done.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wow. We've been waiting for the disappearance of that old deck !

Let the word go forth: It's perfectly kosher to "originate" on a secondary elevation, and in the interiors, of early Wright properties. Very pleasant results, here. . .

Tell us about the openings on this facade, John. I take it you restored the windows on the second level to their original locations ?

I do love the chocolate-and-vanilla tones you bring to these wood-trimmed stucco houses. Yours is a special take on the foursquare type -- in miniature -- would you say ? One thinks of Kevin's Bob Beharka residence, from the Usonian period, as a volumetric companion . . .

Is the Ross house similar in size to the Fireproof House ? According to Storrer's scaled plans, Ross measures c. 26' x 30' outside; Hunt is 29' square; Stockman is 32' square. Evans, which Storrer includes in the Fireproof group, measures 34' x 38' corner to corner, exclusive of projecting bays. Edmund Brigham, ditto, is a few feet larger yet -- a rectangle, not a square, just as at little Ross.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I notice a floor lamp in the "porch." Is it now a year-around, heated enclosure? If so, where do you retreat when you want to be outside, but without being eaten by gnats? I wouldn't live in that corner of the world without a screened porch.

outside in

Post by outside in »

I think I need to clear a few things up - we worked very hard to match the color of the original stucco - I've found that Wright used colors that were generally more intense than the colors most people use to paint the stucco. The stucco is applied with an integral color, allowing it to "breath" and not trap moisture - unfortunately I was unable to include the mica chips which were originally used to make the finish have a slight sparkle.

The wood color is slightly different, in that the Cabots originally used was an opaque stain, whereas we used a combination of light/dark oak Sikkens to show some of the wood grain. The Red Cypress naturally gives slight red tone, which is quite nice.

The original porch has been fitted with bifold windows which can open up completely. I am in the process of making large screens which will cover the openings, allowing the room to be open in the summer without being eaten alive!