Unbuilt home--Ludington Michigan

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Beth

Post by Beth »

My uncle engaged Frank Lloyd Wright to design a home for his property just south of Ludington on Lake Michigan.

The house design is for a small--2 bedrooms and 2 baths--and quite simple house. It has two rooftop decks that seem quite cool to me. It was designed in 1945.

I am curious to know if the blueprints and renderings are marketable. We are not interested in selling the property that the house was specifically designed for, but have a similar parcel about 1 mile south on the lakeshore that we would sell.

If anyone has a sense of whether the plans (with or without lakeshore property) would be marketable please advise.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I don't know about the package you propose, but the drawings alone could find a market. Such items have come up on Ebay; see the Dayer house thread below. The art auction houses might also be interested. You'd be wise to get an appraisal / authentication.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

It would appear that the subject home is the "George Berdan House".

From "Complete Works - 1943 - 1959" p. 62:

"4501
George Berdan House

Ludington, Michigan
Project

The plan for the George Berdan House corresponds to the plan for the Frank Rentz House. It is a two-story Usonian with a long rectangular plan containing workspace, utilities, and living room, with an additional bedroom and bathroom extending out from the far end of the living room. The second floor provides another bedroom and bathroom with a balcony overlooking the two-story living room. As with the Rentz house, the second-floor bedroom has a small outdoor balcony. Construction was to be standard Usonian house type, with heated concrete slab, brick masonry, and board and batten walls and partitions. Although the presentation drawings were approved and signed on November 17, 1945, the working drawings were not prepared until 1948. Even so, the project did not go into construction.
"

David

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

Original renderings with FLLW signature are rare and valuable. Packaged with blueprints and lakeshore really makes it interesting. Would the FLW Foundation have any rights to this original material?

This is a classic and unusual two story Usonian house, very good, and relatively easy to build. What a nice retirement house, but winters there with all that glass facing west could be rough.

Beth

Post by Beth »

I know they are authentic . I visited Taliesin West and met with the archivist a number of years ago. Do you have a recommendation on where to have them appraised?

Beth

Post by Beth »

How would I know if the foundation has any rights to the blueprints/renderings?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I can't recommend an appraiser myself, but the well-known auction houses (e.g. Sotheby's, Christie's, Butterfield & Butterfield) should have someone on hand. My guess is that if you consigned with them they'd do it as part of their service; otherwise they'd charge you. Most large cities have credentialed appraisers with expertise in manuscripts.

The safest way to get an answer to a legal question is to ask a lawyer. My non-professional understanding is that copyright owners hold publication rights but not rights to the physical manuscripts themselves, which can change hands independently of copyrights.

Randolph C. Henning

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

FYI, (speaking as an architect) historically (and typically by contract) original architectural drawings are known as "instruments of service" (just like a mechanic's tools, a surgeon's instruments, etc.). When someone hires an architect they receive a service and they do not own the instruments of service (i.e. original architectural drawings). I've heard that originals often left the Taliesin's so to allow the client, builder, etc. to make copies (i.e. blueprints). But the originals were always asked to be returned. I guess one exception might be if Frank Lloyd Wright gifted the originals to the client but I'd bet that rarely happened. Perhaps the time elapsed has either eroded or negated the legal rights of the FLlW Foundation in these sort of cases. I don't know about that. But, again speaking as an architect, you might consider returning them to the Frank Lloyd Wright Archives. That would be considered the morally (W)right thing to do. The blueprints however wouldn't fall under the instruments of service clause and most likely are yours to own (again speaking as an architect and not as an expert on law). Do my colleagues concur?

outside in

Post by outside in »

I really don't think the Foundation has any copyright claims to blueprints - they are copies of original drawings that were contractually the property of the owner. Standard AIA contract language concurs. I've had blueprints appraised before and they indeed have value, usually on a per sheet basis, and run anywhere from $100-$300 per sheet. As documents they can be bought and sold without affecting the Foundations claims. The only problem would be if someone else were to buy the drawings to actually build the house. In that case the DESIGN would be copyrighted.

egads

Post by egads »

The best course may be to have them appraised and then donate them to the Wright foundation. A win all the way around. In fact, there may be someone at the foundation archives who could do the appraisal for free. Or recommend someone. An independent appraisal may be required by the IRS.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Did your uncle ever say what brought him to Wright or why he didn't build? Money is usually the explanation, but new Wright lore is always welcome.

Beth

Post by Beth »

My Uncle was an artist and loved the work of Wright. He had a wonderful piece of property on Lake Michigan and wrote Mr. Wright a letter asking him if he would consider designer a home for a man of modest means. Once the design was done he could never afford to build it.

As a kid I used to look at the plans...was fascinated by them. He gave them to me many years ago and I have done nothing with them.

There is a lot of property on the lake currently for sale and it make me wonder about seeing if someone might like to buy them and build in the area.

Deke

Post by Deke »

If they are original drawings then they're worth thousands per sheet. Blueprints much less.

Beth, I'd be interested in buying a set of copies or scans to study, thought I can't afford the originals.

Deke

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Would there be a perf with this home?
JAT
Jeff T

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Jeff, elevations of Berden are in Mono 7, pg 80. The printing is too small for me to read, but since it is the same type house as Bachman-Wilson (Storrer 366), it may very well have specified perfs.