Don Erickson house for sale - Inverness, IL

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Don Erickson house for sale - Inverness, IL

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The white interior is horrid. It will cost a fortune to blast all that paint off the brick.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

I doubt the those busy little floor tiles are original, or the vertical board kitchen cabinets. Perhaps they could be removed with the white paint.

Except those items, a nice house.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

This house was designed for Don Erickson's father while Don was with Wright at Taliesin. If I remember correctly it was his first house.

John

Don Erickson House

Post by John »

Do you suppose that brick was painted over the years? I can't imagine it was original.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Don Erickson Estate - [1:39]

David

Thewes

Post by Thewes »

Paul,
You are correct. This was Don's first built design and it was for his father Gunnar Erickson who was a stair builder.
He designed the house while at Taliesin and after the design was complete, he showed it to Mr. Wright. After looking it over, Mr. Wright declared that Don's father owed him a commission for the design, implying that Don stole the idea from him. Don was very upset about this for a long time but later took it as a compliment that Mr. Wright thought so much of his design to claim it as his own.
Don took me through the house when I was working for him. I don't remember it being painted white. I will have to dig out the photos and take a look. I do remember it being wall to wall with furniture and junk. So much that I really couldn't get a good sense of the space.
Ryan

Deke

Post by Deke »

Interesting house. Is this the Erickson that practiced in Washington State and Vancouver BC? Or am I thinking of a different Erickson?

Deke

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Deke..you are thinking of the late Arthur Erickson.
KevinW

Deke

Post by Deke »

Doh!

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

JimM

Post by JimM »

Ablin. Interesting; Erickson 1954, Albin 1958. Of course, any comparisons end at this view.

[imgImageImage

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

According to George Ablin, the mitred window shown in the above photo was originally uninterrupted from top to bottom. A wind storm blew the window out, and Wes Peters replaced it with the one seen here, with the transom dividing the window into smaller, sturdier sections.