TAA project: Beaver Meadows Visitor Center, CO

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

TAA project: Beaver Meadows Visitor Center, CO

Post by DavidC »

In surfing around the net, I ran into this: The Beaver Meadows Visitor Center at Rocky Mountain National Park.

Anyone familiar with this commission and/or have visited there?

David

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

Designed by Tom Casey I believe.
Last edited by Laurie Virr on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

http://www.google.com/images?client=saf ... 43&bih=790

I can only conclude that there was some sort of ban on images of this building. . .!

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

This link has some images, but my guess is that it's not an easy one to get good photos of.

This PDF file (somewhat large, too) has some nice drawings on the bottom pages.

And this PDF file has some photos.

David

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

A neighbor of mine went there last year. I don't know if they got any photos.
JAT
Jeff T

outside in

Post by outside in »

Tom Casey was a truly gifted, wonderful person who served roles as both structural engineer and architect. The Park Service was extremely happy to retain him years after the completion of the project to rehab the building to accommodate the ADA and other updates. Tom was a gentle, kind person and had the capability of creating consensus where chaos was the rule.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Laurie Virr mentioned "Ed Casey" and outside in mentioned "Tom Casey".

Are these the same "Caseys"? Or are there two distinct individuals here?

I just answered my own question. "E Thomas Casey" shows up on John Geiger's apprentice list as having joined on 06/01/1950.

David

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The PDF's are a bit To large TNguy.
Wasn't there a TAA Building at Yellowstone or another National Park?
The design of the deck Fascia inside reminds me of the interior column fascia design in Hotel Valley Ho in Scottsdale,AZ.
JAT
Jeff T

m.perrino

Post by m.perrino »

Tom Casey; a kind, intelligent, good natured and good humored member of the "fellowship", it was an honor to know him....

jim

Post by jim »

I visited there and photographed the building in the early or mid 1970s before the vegetation grew up around it - very handsome building, very well executed. Unfortunately I do not have a slide scanner or I would post the images.
Jim

SDR

Post by SDR »

Send them to me if you like. . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Edmond Thomas 'Tom' Casey was one of the finest architects at Taliesin who stayed after FLW died (along with Johnny Hill and, for a while, Jack Howe). He was also a complete gentleman and very smart. There is a perspective in "The Prairie School Tradition" (pg 256) by Robert Spencer. When the building was new in 1966, there were many photos of it in such periodicals as Arch Rec and Arch Forum, in part because it was used by US Steel to advertise Cor-Ten. It's very photogenic. A fine building.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for the tip, Mr Grant. Here is the image and its caption. I am a bit surprised by the Cor-Ten connection, as I thought I was looking at painted wood on the building -- and thinking that the forms would make great working trusses. . .

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

When I am at work tomorrow I should go check the books out that you mentioned Roderick.
I think I did see this in the 1966 Arch. Record.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

You know how I love those early photos. . .! Is there a scanner at work ?

S