Textile Block DIY

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SWSinDC

Textile Block DIY

Post by SWSinDC »

Has anyone run across a website or video which well demonstrates, step-by-step, block-by-block, how FLLW's textile block construction was performed on site?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Never seen one; the best description of how it's supposed to work is probably Wright's own In the Nature of Materials.

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

SWSinDC - Michael and I have considered organizing workshop retreats for the design and construction of perf boards and perf blocks but it is only early days. Your post gives me an opportunity to gauge the interest for similar hands-on workshops.
Any comments or ideas will be appreciated.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I like the idea Palli. The perf workshop was fun and I learned something I hadn't known about perf's.
JAT
Jeff T

goldrushtree

Post subject: Textile Block DIY

Post by goldrushtree »

Part of the work done at Florida Southern College for the water dome was recreating some of the sandstone blocks to house the pumps. Perhaps someone there created a how-to, or could create a how-to when doing more blocks.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Though not textile blocks, here is a blog posting of what some students did to recreate some of the differing style Usonain Automatic blocks for an exhibition.

(when you get to the bottom of the web page, be sure to click on "Older Posts" to see more of their block-making process)

Palli and Michael - GREAT IDEA!!! We would love to be able to come join you folks if the opportunity would present itself. And perhaps you could consider a Usonian Automatic block workshop at some point, too!

David

SWSinDC

RE: Textile Block DIY

Post by SWSinDC »

A workshop would be great fun and informative. I often wonder whether, in the intervening 50 years, advances in construction and production techniques would allow us to iron out the problems previously encountered with textile block construction and make it a viable approach now.

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

Whilst not strictly FLW, Alden Dows textile blocks would be worthwhile looking at. In my humble opinion he seemed to have more success with them than did FLW.

george nichols

Making blocks.

Post by george nichols »

Sweeney in "Wright in Hollywood" has a good bit of material on block fabrication.

G.N.

lang

Post by lang »

AAC blocks are light, they can be cut easily with power tools and have more insulating value than regular concrete. I wonder if a textile block like effect could be achieved? One serious drawback is that they are fragile and would require some kind of protective coating. Langdon

lang

Post by lang »

Off- Topic : ozwrightfan, how much success did Alden Dow achieve with his unit block system? Was his system adopted by others at any point? Langdon

Deke

Post by Deke »

What I'd like to see is a workshop on making furniture. Maybe you'd leave at the end with a nice end-table or chair.

Deke

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

SWSDC:
Has anyone run across a website or video which well demonstrates, step-by-step, block-by-block, how FLLW's textile block construction was performed on site
I have found in Frank Lloyd Wright From Within Outward showing the construction of Storer and there is one showing Kentucky Knob's stone construction as well.
I can get a photo of it and post it here if you would like.
JAT
Jeff T

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Palli was very excited to hear about AAC blocks and from the little I have read they do seem to be an ideal replacement for the interior layer of a textile block wall because they would provide some insulation. There are a lot of other considerations though,because the standard AAC would not fit the textile block format but likely could be made so. The exterior layer could still be concrete block, and the finished wall would not have to be finished with synthetic stucco.

Michael Holubar

SDR

Post by SDR »

Terms might be defined when presented for the first time ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerated_au ... d_concrete

I second the view that Robert L Sweeney's important "Wright in Hollywood" (MIT Press, 1994) is a good source for the history of the Textile Block as developed and used in Los Angeles in the early 'twenties. It is well illustrated.

Below are four consecutive pages from Wright's late volume, "The Natural House" (Horizon Press, 1954):