Goetsch-Winckler Usonian house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
robinjulien

Paper research project

Post by robinjulien »

Hi,

Here is the download link for my paper and research bundle.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KUJ9N88V

The movie will follow later. I hope you will like it.

Robin

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

There is said to be a copy of the Goetsch-Winkley House at 472 Burton Avenue, Highland Park, IL.

On Google all you can see is the end of the house that has the carport.

Can't see anything on Bing due to trees.

HT: Mark O.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Google Maps indicates that the back side of the house is larger than G/W, as if the SW wall of the living room extends to the NW end wall of the bedroom wing, filling in the area where the lanai is located.

SDR

Post by SDR »

robinjulien's link won't connect, for me. "Safari can't find the server www.megaupload.com". Anyone ?

SDR

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

SDR--robinjulien's link is from 2010. The site may not exist anymore.

(Wasn't that Kim Dotcom's website, that went under when he was arrested?)

Tom

Post by Tom »

Same here. KimDotCom's server was taken down by the Feds I think.
Anyway, sure would like to see this research.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Highland Park copy is interesting. I don't expect miracles. The added bedrooms may have come later ? Note deflecting carport roof in street view.

In my imagination the G/W is a bi-level house, with a step down toward the hillside view. But of course it's a single-level slab . . .

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Bringing the Goetsch-Winckler thread to post-outage status.

search terms: geotsch, winkler, okemos

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Still not coming up in searches...
Keywords:
Goetsch, Winckler, Okemos , Goetsch-Winckler

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for that SDR. We now have this thread and links to other related threads findable on the Chat’s search.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's some oddity in the thread numbering, which I had assumed to be serial and chronological; I guess not, somehow ? I've added the date of the first post, in each case . . .

S

DavidC

Re: Goetsch-Winckler Usonian house

Post by DavidC »

Goetsch-Winckler, Goetsch, Winckler

Tom

Re: Goetsch-Winckler Usonian house

Post by Tom »

Trying out my new skill with the insert image button.
The roof framing plan is already posted on page 3 of this thread.
But here goes again.

The steel supporting the carport has always confused me. I now think its all in the same plane, welded, and held in place by a bunch of bricks on top.
The carport steel has two sections pointing to the top of the drawing with their lower ends balanced on either of the short ends of the dark brick rectangle in plan. The third steel section is at right angles to these two and in line with the long top edge of the dark brick rectangle. It is cantilevered to the right of the drawing.
These three sections are probably welded and all act together.

The bricks counter balancing this steel surprise me. They keep a very low profile. I thought there would have to be more.
Maybe if you take one brick out - the carport collapses.

Ta Dah:

Wish I could zoom in on the carport.
Last edited by Tom on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juankbedoya

Re:

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:55 pm
I would second EJ's excellent advice, robin. Few of Wright's works have received the kind of detailed attention which the Goetsch-Winckler residence has, in this book.

The book is: "Affordable Dreams: the Goetsch-Winckler House and Frank Lloyd Wright," edited by Susan J Bandes, and published as the Kresge Art Museum Bulletin,
Special Issue, Vol VI, 1991, by Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.

Below are three of the plans reproduced in "Affordable Dreams," along with the author's notes for those plates.

In return for this favor, I wonder if you would be so kind as to edit your original entry for this thread, correcting the name of the house to its accepted form and spelling ?
You will find an "edit" button at the upper right of each of your entries.

In addition to the credits given, all images © 1991 by the Board of Trustees, Michigan State University, and Susan J Bandes
Am I the only one who sees Van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion influence here..?