mid century romantics?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
lang

mid century romantics?

Post by lang »

Greetings to everyone on Wright chat! I am a neophyte Wrightian / Wrightophile! ( not sure of the correct term! ) I recently became interested in architecture, and was immediately enthralled with the work of Frank Lloyd Wright!. I am delighted to find an active forum still discussing his work and ideas . Wright's work for me has an essential human quality, a romance that i find lacking in many other modern architects. Many examples of modern architecture seem too severe to my eye, oftentimes sterile. Wright's work seems more human to me somehow. I suppose my questions to the forum would be this: What other modernists should i be looking at? Are there other modern romantics or have i missed something vital in what seems austere?

Langdon

peterm

Post by peterm »

Welcome to Wright Chat!

From your description of the qualities which you admire in Wright's work, I would suggest you start by looking into the work of these others:

Though not midcentury: Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright's mentor

Rudolf Schindler, a Viennese born architect who worked for Wright in the 20's and went on to design amazing architecture on his own...

Alvar Aalto from Finland

Harwell Hamilton Harris

E. Fay Jones

This is obviously a short list, but I think these are architects who embraced the humanistic aesthetic which Wright mastered, and did not slavishly copy his work.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I think we should add Alden B. Dow to the list.

John Donnelly

Post by John Donnelly »

Welcome to the board!

While I don't have another architect to recommend to you, I would take the time to look at the "California Case Study Homes", many that were built are famous, seen in film, and probably familiar to you even though you didn't know what they were when you saw them.

Taschen has a great book on them.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalog ... houses.htm

-John

jim

Post by jim »

Another excellent book is "NorCal Mod – Icons of Northern California Modernism" by Pierluigi Serraino. Chronicle Books. 2006. This one goes into the differences between the SoCal Case Study houses and the more romantic Bay Area style (and whether it really exists), and perhaps most interesting, what happened to Modernism.
Jim

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A couple of Norwegians: Wenche Selmer (1920-1998), whose work is published in "Norwegian Wood" by Elisabeth Tostrup; Sverre Fehn (1924-2009) with an eponymous book by Christian Norberg-Schulz. Both employed modern architectural vocabularies (Fehn was a close friend of both Aalto and Corbu; Selmer founded the school of architecture at the University of Oslo) combined with vernacular materials and building traditions (especially Selmer). The use of brick and wood in their work, as well as the thoughtful siting and environmental concerns, call to mind similarities to the work of FLW's later periods.

Italian master Carlo Scarpa (1906-1978), whose work is largely overlooked in this country, is represented in a "Complete Works" publication by Francesco Dal Co and Giuseppe Mazzariol.

Books on John Lautner, E. Fay Jones and William Bernoudy cover three successful FLW apprentices.

lang

mid century romantics?

Post by lang »

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!