Pope Leighey House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
PNB

Pope Leighey House

Post by PNB »

We are heading east this June on our family trip and will be touring the Pope Leighey house for the first time. For those that have been there can you recommend any other worthwhile places to visit in the vicinity? Museums, homes, good restaurants - any advice will be appreciated.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Right down the road from Pope is Mt. Vernon. The (relatively) new museum they have there is wonderful.

Also, if it happens to work out time-wise for you - you may want to consider taking the Tech Tour at Pope (they hold them on the first Sunday of each month). You get the run of the place for a few hours - and can take pictures inside, too.

David

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

I highly recommend the "tech" tour TnGuy suggests. I wanted to do that, but the timing was wrong. The ability to take photos inside is the key.

I went last year and have exterior images only:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/howardcan/ ... 960468717/

It's a great little gem. So simple. yet complex.

BBuck

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

PNB-

This beautiful Marine Corps Chapel in Quantico, VA, done in the manner of Fay Jones and/or the Air Force Academy Chapel looks like it would be worthy of a visit while you are on your trip to the D.C. area.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oc ... ps-museum/

pharding

Post by pharding »

Here's another fine building well worth a visit in the area: Women in Military Service for America Memorial at Arlington National Cemetary.
http://www.weissmanfredi.com/projects/w ... metery.php
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thanks for the excellent recommendations. On the way back we will be touring Fallingwater for the first time. Can't wait for June!

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

PNB-

If you are touring Fallingwater, do not miss out on the chance to see Kentuck Knob as well. It is only about 20-30 minutes away from Fallingwater, and it would be a shame not to experience this beautiful Usonian as well. For your sake, I hope you can find time to fit KK into your itinerary. Have a great trip and a great time.

BBuck

Post by BBuck »

I'll second Wrightgeek's KK recommendation. Not to be missed. It's in superb condition inside and out! Don't miss the basement either.

BBuck

egads

Post by egads »

I also recommend walking back to the visitors center. Weather permitting.

PNB

Post by PNB »

It is our intention to see Kentuck Knob - we are contemplating if we have time to swing through Ohio on the way out and see the Westcott house also. To me one of the most exciting part of this besides seeing these houses in person for the first time is sharing the experience with our Daughter.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

PNB-

If you do make it through Central Ohio, where I live, in addition to the Westcott House, which is great, here are a few other suggestions:

Louis Sullivan Bank-Newark, OH

Rush Creek Village-Worthington, OH

Louis Sullivan Bank-Sidney, OH

Meyers Medical Clinic-Dayton, OH

All of these destinations are within a reasonable distance of I-70, which I would think might be your route through Central Ohio, and are well worth seeing. BTW, where is home?

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thanks for the suggestions Wrightgeek - we live in central Wisconsin. A chance to see Rush Creek Village is probably enough to tip our decision - I had not thought of this but would love to see it.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

PNB,

Rush Creek Vlg sponsors a housewalk each June. Don't know the exact date, but you might want to try to work your trip around it. You will get to see the interiors of a half dozen houses or so.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Paul Ringstrom wrote:You will get to see the interiors of a half dozen houses or so.

Paul - my wife and I went on the tour last year (and had the pleasure of enjoying it w/ the company of Wright Chat's own 'Wrightgeek' & Palli & Michael). There were no interiors as part of it and we were told that they no longer include them when giving the annual tour.

David

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Sorry to hear that.

I've gone twice, several years ago, and really enjoyed it.