Wild Bird

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
mdgraham

Post by mdgraham »

I will look up the cottage in the book. Maybe photo-ed before the addition...
see this link on a short write-up on Wild Bird.
http://www.nytimes.com/indexes/2009/10/ ... ame=04turn
Fifty years later and it is timeless.

Also, this link is amazing as the write-up is a walk-thru with Mark Mills thru some of his houses.
http://www.janeybennett.com/taliesin.html

I have ordered NorCalModern as Education Professor mentioned it a few days back.
Thank you again Ed.Prof. for advising me.

mdgraham

Mark Mills in A History of Carmel

Post by mdgraham »

I bought a copy of Kent Seavey's CARMEL - A HISTORY IN ARCHITECTURE. It is an exquisite volume chock full of photos and a beautiful read on Carmel. Mark Mills is included with photos of several houses, and the caption to one by John Sarr on page 124 states Nat and Margaret Owings visited the house and were impressed by the design to incorporate similar in the Wild Bird design.

mdgraham

FLW and Mark Mills work in Northern CA

Post by mdgraham »

I ordered NorCalMod by Pierluigi Serraino. Exquisite and chock full of photos and references to FLW (24) and Mark Mills (16), along with a short 2 page summary of his 2003 interview with Mark Mills.

On a separate note there is an AIA thread being circulated about why architects and the profession is in the dismal state it is in, economically and otherwise, and why architects are not hired to design houses anymore.

http://network.aia.org/AIA/AIA/Discussi ... b67ca07c72

I think the overall caliber of architects has diminished since the FLW Taliesin training days that is not supplanted by b.Arch. and Masters degrees. Any comments or insights are appreciated.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I think architects today are still suffering from the same malady that afflicted composers post-Beethoven. It's as if Wright, Corbu, Mies and Aalto said all there was to say, especially in the area of residential design. Architecture is still waiting for its Brahms.

mdgraham

Post by mdgraham »

Well said. I never thought of the construction profession and history that way. There were at least one of two underappreciated mavericks in the last 20 years, Samuel Mockbee comes to mind, but if there were others they got little press.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

mdgraham--Thanks for the info about Seavey's book. It sounds like a good resource, and I'll do my best to obtain a copy of it. I'm glad you were able to obtain a copy of NorCalMod...it is indeed a very nice book.

EP

mdgraham

Marking a century for Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin

Post by mdgraham »

The Sustainable AEC email to those of us in the business had a short write-up on Taliesin at link below.

http://www.dispatchmarketinginc.com/eRe ... fault.aspx

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I take it that the reason this article is in the sustainable category is because it has to do with restoring an existing building??
KevinW

mdgraham

Post by mdgraham »

"Taliesin cannot summed up simply,� Robinson said. “Anytime you try to connect with everything, it’s not easy.�

The above is the closing sentence. i think the author is trying to make the point that FLW was a sustainable, green, environmentally oriented architect and builder, and sensitive to nature and natural materials way before it was a trend. The timeless quality of his buildings demonstrate that as well, even if some of us and/or lay people cannot put their finger on why.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Sustainable and "green"..I'm not so sure about that. Timelessness of the aesthetics has little to do with sustainability. Solar orientation is something, perhaps, I will agree with, and use of local materials at the Taliesins and a few of the houses. But many of his favorite materials were not local or even grown in this country, or perform well in regards to R-value.
KevinW

mdgraham

Post by mdgraham »

Well so much for defending Wright. I stand corrected.
I guess the AEC post meant sustainable in the literate sense - still standing after 100 years?

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

I ran across this web blog recently about Wild Bird:

http://www.bubbleinfo.com/2011/01/15/big-sur/

It appears from the photos on the web blog that Wild Bird has been renovated (A-Frame) and enlarged (bedroom wing):

EP

SDR

Post by SDR »

Someone doesn't get it. Why would you paint three pairs of beams and not all five ?

White paint and glossy surfaces are not what this space is about, anyway -- in my opinion. Another case where the wild and wooly meets Ms Maintenance and Mr Clean ?

S D R

mdgraham

Post by mdgraham »

Education Professor- Thank you !! for the exterior shots. I am stunned by the interior....wow. What architect would inpose this on the Mark Mills "jewel box in the natural element" of Wild Bird? I live in a cedar post and beam (and T&G decked townhouse) and the rough sawn timbers catch anything airborne, but painting good wood is a sin.
I hope someone familar with the Big Sur/Carmel area can share some info on the owners and the addition, which in my opinion is a detraction.

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

And the kitchen has disappeared (moved?), the dining space relocated. What a misunderstanding of this wonderful home.

Doug K