Wild Bird

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

If this has been done to a Wright house, we would all agree that it was a tragedy of epic proportions. No amount of rationalization can convince me that this situation is any different.

The original house showed great respect for nature. The connection between interior and exterior was clear. How can this remodel possibly be defended when we're posting on a site where the mission statement is all about preservation?

What if Fallingwater had been gutted and remade as "sophisticated" as this? Who among us would say, "It could have been worse"?

The Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, an international preservation organization, is based in Chicago, Illinois. Founded in 1989, its mission is to facilitate the preservation and maintenance of the remaining structures designed by Frank Lloyd Wright through education, advocacy, preservation easements and technical services.

egads

Post by egads »

I must admit that the vessel sinks did make me throw up a little. The whole thing does make me wonder when the very rich started needing so much to feel special. It was, after all, originally built for people of fairly large wealth. At yet, now it was not enough.

SDR

Post by SDR »

You know me -- ever the devil's advocate !

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I can think of only one FLW house that has been so badly damaged (at least after the fact, Ennis' corruption notwithstanding): Benjamin Adelman. There's enough left of it to know what was originally there, but so much altered so insensitively and irreversibly that it ought to be deleted from the canon.

Education Professor

Post by Education Professor »

It is indeed hard to say whether it would be best to hope for a faithful restoration/re-creation of the original structure using the existing "bones" or to essentially start over from scratch. There are certainly pros and cons to both approaches. Hopefully the breathtaking site will one see the harmonious return of Wild Bird to its original perch.

EP

SDR

Post by SDR »

I had a brief fantasy, during a recent discussion of the ruined Ludekens house of J. Hillmer, that a recreation could be built upon a vacant site adjacent to the original -- in the manner of the ritual rebuilding of the Ise Shrine, in Japan . . .

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:I can think of only one FLW house that has been so badly damaged (at least after the fact, Ennis' corruption notwithstanding): Benjamin Adelman. There's enough left of it to know what was originally there, but so much altered so insensitively and irreversibly that it ought to be deleted from the canon.
One that has virtually nothing of the original structure left - well beyond Benjamin Adelman - is the Arthur Pieper House.

David

pharding

Post by pharding »

Unfortunately too many Prairie Houses have had beautiful, original, historic architectural fabric obliterated by well meaning homeowners and pseudo experts. The original Frank Lloyd Wright finishes were incredibly beautiful and not like contemporary finishes. Many people just assume that by looking at extant historic architectural finishes that if they just visually match what they think they are seeing that a historically accurate finish system will result. I truly wish it were that easy. Unfortunately it is not. As a result one sees important original architectural fabric removed or obliterated, lost forever. One sees woodwork that is stained the wrong color or poorly executed or with stain applied so badly that all transparency in the finish system is lost and wood trim appears painted. As a FLW homeowner I understand the expense of restoration and I admire all FLW homeowners and their efforts. It isn't about how much one spends on a FLW house. What matters is ensuring that restoration funds are wisely spent. Professional restoration guidance is not very expensive in the overall scheme of things. An authentic restoration of a FLW house is infinitely better than alternative, well-meaning self-help approaches.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Tom

Post by Tom »

Anybody ever seen dimensioned drawings of Wildbird?

Tom

Post by Tom »

... recently became interested in the triangle of AFrames: base to height relationship etc..
... bedroom dormitory at Oak Park Studio - is that an equilateral triangle?

Tom

Post by Tom »

,,, no it's not.

Will need to check my Mono's for dimensions

SDR

Post by SDR »

Schindler's 1934 A-frame for Gisela Bennati is an equilateral triangle, as are many others on this page:

https://www.google.com/search?q=schindl ... MgOcgGYEMM:

Wright's regular non-orthogonal geometric forms are used in plan, not in elevation, where roof pitches rule the roost . . .

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

thanks ... helpful
thinking out loud here

peterm

Post by peterm »

History of A-frames post-Schindler Bennati House (1934), the first vacation house of this type:

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/.amp/art ... r-a-frames

Tom

Post by Tom »

Brief and informative article.
I Googled the AFrame by Izenour: "KiddyKamp"
It's AWFULL