American System-Built Home

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

American System-Built Home

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Frank Lloyd Wright ® Wisconsin's American System-Built Home to be featured on Wisconsin Public Television

Wisconsin Public Television will feature a new segment on the restoration of the Frank Lloyd Wright-designed American System-Built Home in Milwaukee on the next edition of their In Wisconsin program.

Mike Lilek, Frank Lloyd Wright ® Wisconsin board member and restoration project manager, takes viewers on a tour of the newly renovated interior of the 1916-era American System-Built Home located at 2714 West Burnham Street on Milwaukee's south side. The home is a rare example of one of Wright's designs created to provide beautiful and affordable housing for the working class.

The program will air in Madison on Wisconsin Public Television on Thursday, January 21st at 7:00 pm CST, with an encore presentation on Sunday, January 24th at 10:30 pm CST.

Milwaukee Public Television, Channel 10, will also air the In Wisconsin program on Sunday, January 24th at 11:30 am CST. The program will also be available on the internet after its air date at www.WrightInMilwaukee.org.

Don't miss the stunning outcome of this year-long preservation project to restore this architectural gem to its original glory. And make plans to visit the house to see first-hand this restoration success story! Monthly open house dates are listed on the Wright in Milwaukee website.

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Mike Lilek has done an outstanding job for our organization, helping coordinate the restoration, and letting people know about it. Come see the house for yourself, come to Wright & Like in Racine (June 4/5), and join our organization!

Mark Hertzberg
Board member, Wright in Wisconsin
Mark Hertzberg

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thanks for the notice Paul - I'll be tuning in. This brings up the question I asked about a year ago that I thought would have generated more interest than it did: Does anyone have any information on the American System Built house that William Weston built in Spring Green??

http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/v ... highlight=

PNB

Post by PNB »

I just watched In Wisconsin and this was not on it nor was it on the advertised stories for next week. Did you mean a different show?

jackdenial

Post by jackdenial »

It is obvious that the reason you survived your encounter with the outlet is that you have an insulated brain and an ungrounded butt....if you had been well grounded, it would have done more than tingle.

DRN

Post by DRN »

PNB:
I suspect the best way to locate the Weston house would be to do a search at the Spring Green Library or a Historical Society Archive, to find an old town phone book or directory between the years 1930 and 1950 and look up William Weston. That would likely give an address.
The "open cornice" in Marcus Weston's description probably means his father left the rafter tails and underside of roof decking exposed at the soffits, which was not an uncommon detail in bungalow construction, but uncharacteristic for Wright.

PNB

Post by PNB »

Thanks DRN for the advice - I usually make it to Spring Green twice a year so I plan on doing some sleuthing on my next visit. If I have any luck I will share my find.

For anyone who wanted to see the In Wisconsin report I attached a link- it was on the January 6th broadcast.

http://wpt2.org/npa/IWFLWhousetour.cfm