Photos of the Austin House, Greenville, SC???

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Thanks for the correction, RGrant, and of course you are right.

I had just read something earlier today about the Bachman-Wilson house, and it must have stuck in my head. I meant to say the Gordon Residence, in Oregon, may have vertical perfs. I was there several years ago, and I'm thinking that I may remember seeing them, but I can't really be sure.

If not, I'm sure that someone will be able to let me know.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Gordon has stacked horizontal perfs.

David

John Edwards

Post by John Edwards »

I live a few blocks from this home and visited the home several times when the Palmers owned it. To the best of my knowledge it has only been opened to the public once since Mr. Bristol purchased it. It is a very small home and does not lend itself easily to touring so I can understand the difficulty in sharing it with the public. I recall that it still had most, if not all, of the original furnishings as recently as 1990 and this may still be the case. Please follow this link for several photographs from the HABS website:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?co ... &maxCols=4

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

How about that perf on the fireplace grate? I wonder of that was part of the design or added later?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/400 ... 5deab0.jpg

MOman2

Broad Margin Ausin house Greenville SC

Post by MOman2 »

I will be in the Greenville SC area; can this home be seen from the street or the driveway? Thank You

Rood

Post by Rood »

Seeing Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer on the living room TV in the fifth photo down was a bit startling. What's he doing there, anyway.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aiagreenvi ... 581866364/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

A couple of photos beyond BBP show the living room of Storer on the TV, and further down, just prior to the blueprints, Eric makes an appearance. Probably there was a tape of one of the documentaries on the tube at the time.

Concerning Wrighter's April 18 query about the perf on the fireplace screen, further down the line are a couple of photos with a decidedly non-FLW screen (and a portrait above the fireplace), which is also the final photo, strongly suggesting that the perf-ed screen is new.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting the pics Rood.
I drove by the house on Monday after the Moon's shadow was gone and all I saw was the top of the chimney and the driveway gates. I suppose in the winter when leaves are down more can be seen from the street and from the opposite street to the south.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A couple of photos there show an unusual brass-colored window-operating crank and its white plastic portal(s) through interior screen frame(s). At least, I think that's what I'm seeing . . .

SDR

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

DRN wrote:Thanks for posting the pics Rood.
I drove by the house on Monday after the Moon's shadow was gone and all I saw was the top of the chimney and the driveway gates. I suppose in the winter when leaves are down more can be seen from the street and from the opposite street to the south.
Trees in the south don't necessarily lose their leaves on the same schedule as the north. I have never had luck with this house.

Tom

Post by Tom »

It's got to be at least mid November for a leafless drive by.

The desert masonry - it looks pretty good.
So, where, I wonder, did those stones come from?
Not from the desert that's for sure.