Photos of the Austin House, Greenville, SC???

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Education Professor

Photos of the Austin House, Greenville, SC???

Post by Education Professor »

I'm looking for some photos (especially interior) of the Austin house in South Carolina. As I've reviewed my FLLW resources, I've found only a few courtesy pics of the house. Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

EP

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Flickr has some photos of the house.
JAT
Jeff T

Education Professor

Many thanks for the flickr links.......is Broad Margin featured in any FLLW books or in any architectural magazines?

george nichols

Re:Austin,T5102/S.345

Post by george nichols »

Ref:
"House & Home",August 1958
HABS SC,23-GRENV,2-(Broad Margin)
South Carolina Department of Archives and History:"Broad Margin".
Taschen,FLlW,Vol.3
Storrer:FLlW Companion
Letters listed in the Taliesin Index by Alofsin.

G.N.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I seem to recall hearing that Broad Margin was now owned by the heir to one of the great American industrial fortunes. Is that right? Whoever owns it seems to be taking excellent care of it.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:I seem to recall hearing that Broad Margin was now owned by the heir to one of the great American industrial fortunes. Is that right? Whoever owns it seems to be taking excellent care of it.
Here's what I could dig up on current ownership:

It's listed as "Broad Margin LLC" in care of Frederick W. Bristol Jr, w/ a Hilton Head, SC address. It sold to the LLC from the previous owners (the Palmers, who owned it since 1975) for $700,000.

Broad Margin - Greenville County Tax Parcel info

They have owned it since at least 1998.

According to this article, it was to be auctioned in April of 1997 to settle a divorce of the Palmers.

David

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Oh, and another book the house is in is FLW - Mid-Century Modern by Hess and Weintraub.

Also, I have a copy of the August 1958 "House & Home" magazine that Broad Margin is in. There are six pages dedicated to it - with 6 b&w photos, 2 section drawings and a floor plan, each w/ accompanying text.

David

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

TnGuy wrote:Frederick W. Bristol Jr
an heir to the Bristol Meyers Squibb fortune, I believe.

Education Professor

Many thanks for the very helpful info about Broad Margin. It is indeed owned by the heir to the Bristol Myers Squibb fortune..........

EP

Education Professor

TnGuy has graciously scanned these photos of Broad Margin from the August 1958 edition of House and Home Magazine.

Is this the only Usonian in which vertical perf boards are exclusive? The only other vertical perf design I can recall is the McBroom residence which was built in Virginia a few years ago based upon the Ruth Keith/Bertha Hamilton designs.

David, thank you very much for your assistance and efforts.

EP

JimM

Post by JimM »

Pope-Leighey, for one, has vertical perfs at the end of the bedroom wing wall.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

I'm not positive, but I think the Wilson Residence in Oregon may also have some verticle perfs?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Bachman-Wilson is in New Jersey, not Oregon, and it does not have vertical perfs. Manson has both vertical and horizontal perfs.