Seeking Info on Abby Beecher Roberts House, Marquette, MI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Palli, I'm certain there are no perfs at Roberts. There is a design for art glass windows that were not executed. The pattern, clear on the published elevation drawings (#5, pp224-227), suggests an abstraction of trees. Very simple line drawings. I doubt colored glass would have been specified.

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Roderick, thanks, then Manson will still stand as the first built structure with perfs, as differentiated from free standing furniture perfs like Hanna.

Snowscrapper

abby beecher house

Post by Snowscrapper »

I came across your forum while searching for info on the FLW house in Marquette to show a coworker. I have a photo of the house that i took in 2007 if you are interested. It was undergoing some roof construction at the time. It really is easy to find, you can actually see the roof from the main road if you know where to look. Let me know.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Have you included the dining room ceiling in Wright's Oak Park house?

Palli Davis Holubar

Reidy, I decided to use the wonderful wooden fretwork grille for laylight like the Oak park Home and Hollyhock as precursors and actually begin when I first see "perforated boards" written on a plan. The designs of perf boards were radically different at the turn of the Century. Although my research has not been exhaustive prior to Hanna- Hanna is the first I found. Wrights' cursive annotation with an arrow occurs on at least 2 elevations of Hanna we know were FLW drawings.
The wooden fretwork grilles come to mind specifically when panel perforated plywood boards begin with Brauner (although those have moulding on the inside of the shapes and are shapes from the perforated blocks of the House.) That is, assuming the plywood panel on Brunner entry is original? Can anyone confirm this?
Last edited by Palli Davis Holubar on Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Snowscrapper, by all means post whatever photos you have of the Roberts House. If you have trouble with posting, contact either hypnoragun or SDR, who post photos all the time on this site. We are always hungry for photos of FLW's work.

Snowscrapper

Post by Snowscrapper »

I just emailed them to someone to post for me. Happy to contribute. Oddly, most people here in Marquette don't even realize there is a FLW house here. It is located in a really "backwoods" kind of neighborhood filled with cabins which in itself is interesting.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

from Snowscrapper

John

Roberts House

Post by John »

I can't for the life of me figure out how to post photos to this site or I could show some I made in 2006 of this house.
It was indeed still owned by the granddaughter and she wasn't about to sell.
Don't know if she and her husband are still there.
It is a bit hard to find, but Storrer shows the way. Remember, he also includes GPS coordinates so you can find nearly every building with your GPS device even if you can't find the road sign.
There are no decorative cutout boards but simple panes above the main windows.
When I saw the house it was in very "rough" shape.
Let us know how it is now. I fear for it.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

from John

archfan

Post by archfan »

Gotta ask - are there any other FLW houses with a basketball hoop?

John

Basketball hoops

Post by John »

I think that would be an excellent topic for an academic paper!

Palli Davis Holubar

John, don't look at me! Perfs are as far as I go.

mwindsand

Post by mwindsand »

I recently met the granddaughter at the Roberts FLW House. She and her husband do still live there. She is very private and is hoping to do some much need maintenance on the house. It is not suited for the UP winters. She was very pleasant and enjoyed talking about the history. I told her about this Wright Chat site.

mwindsand

Post by mwindsand »

I live near Marquette. My older cousin grew up there and recalls another FLW house. It has since been torn down. It was close to the college, NMU now.