Article: Meyer House (Galesburg, MI - 1948) restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

My brother (or more correctly, my sister-in-law) recently redecorated their kitchen with mascarello granite countertops. He sent me a photo. Rather a colorful stone: all the hues of lasagna with ripe olives. I e-mailed that it looked like an Italian food fight. I tried talking him into jasper, or Sioux quartzite, as it's also known, which is quarried where they live, as opposed to having to be shipped from Italy. Jasper colors range from an array of soft grays to some rather vibrant plum shades, but (s)he had to have the splattered lasagna. Now they're going back to the Italian marble menu for the bar. No offsets for them.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I like ubatuba. Not the stone particularly, just the name...ubatuba...kind of fun to say. Ubatuba.

I'm not a fan of stone countertops. Most dropped objects will break upon contact. A Usonian kitchen (at least the one I know best) relies heavily upon open shelving above the countertop, and wet hands coupled with short stature can impair grip when reaching. Cleanup of splintered glass on food prep surfaces trashes a meal, and is very time consuming.

BTW, we found gel filled walking pads at Bed, Bath, & Beyond that are great for at the sink and stove that perfectly match the concrete color...the pad color is called "chestnut". These have also saved several dropped objects from meeting an untimely end on the concrete floor.

peterm

Post by peterm »

DRN-

Thanks for the best answer to my previous question. We have been told over and over about the advantages of stone, (one can put hot things on it, doesn't scratch or stain easily...) but the disadvantages are also many: too heavy, too expensive, difficult to work with, when polished, too shiny, but the breakage on contact is possibly the best example so far.

ozwrightfan

Post by ozwrightfan »

You will also find that marble is porous. I certainly don't recommened it as a kitchen countertop surface to my clients. Granite to a lesser degree is also porous and needs to be resealed every few years. This is why the man made stone such as "Caesar Stone" is so popular at the moment as it is non porous and very consistant in colour and pattern, some will even say boring compared to natural stone.

budongsmith

Post by budongsmith »

it sounds as if the new owner has been able to add modern conveniences in inobtrusive ways. from the article, the article pics if a warmer tone has been substituted.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I see that you know can get bamboo countertops:

http://www.teragren.com/products_countertops.html

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Bamboo is becoming very popular as flooring, too. How durable is it?

flwright

Post by flwright »

Bamboo is reported to be 30% more durable than maple when used as flooring, according to one of my suppliers (but he sells it, so he is likely biased). I've never used it as countertop, but maple is a popular choice for butcher block so, given the above, I would assume that the bamboo would also stand up well in this instance.
Morgan

pharding

Post by pharding »

We used bamboo flooring in the student apartments on a LEEDS Certified Dormitory Conversion for the Salvation Army. Great stuff and very durable. The only issue that I had with it was that it was not light fast.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn