MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Look at those bricks in the Wingspread fireplace. It looks like Johnson got culls from Jacobs, rather than the other way around.

Rood

Post by Rood »

Ron ... I love the Wingspread balcony fireplace, but when I was there it appeared never to have seen a fire .... and your photo suggests that the same logs I saw years ago are still waiting for something to set them ablaze. Are you able to enlighten us?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Murray Grigor's documentary The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright has a brief sequence of the HH fireplace in use. Virginia Kazor, the curator at the time, explained that among the conditions were buying an insurance policy and hiring a firefighter (or was it two?) from the city for $80 per hour.

SDR

Post by SDR »

We're talking about the upstairs fireplace shown above, not the main fireplace in the living room ?

SDR

dkottum

Post by dkottum »

I would imagine the logic of those tall fireplaces is that if you lit them at the top of the vertical wood stack, they would create a draw and burn harmlessly down to the bottom?

Or is this another case of "form and function are one, but when function gets in the way of form, to heck with function", a description of FLW's architecture by Brandoch Peters I seem to recall.

Nonetheless, these fireplaces are beautiful as they are designed, wouldn't want to see it any other way.

doug k

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wonder if anyone is working on a study of the fireplaces.

A complete list, with images -- at least some in color -- with material description, and (where possible) anecdotal evidence ? If he built 532 structures, most of them with fireplaces, and there were two to a page, it would make a 280-page book, perhaps. A sprinkling could be full-page images (Martin; Fallingwater); there could be some drawings, perhaps cuts from original sheets. Someone to do an intro . . .

SDR

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

There is a little fireplace book. Carla Lind's Frank Lloyd Wright's Fireplaces is one in a series of small-format books on aspects of Wright design that she produced for Archetype Press in the 1990s. It's not the comprehensive book that SDR suggests but it has good selection in 55 pages of color and B/W photos of fireplaces from every period.

On another question, I have no idea whether the Wingspread fireplace with the tree-length birch logs standing in it has ever been lit. I certainly hope not.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It would take more than 280 pages. Most of FLW's houses have more than one fireplace, some (Taliesin & T-West excluded - how many in each?) have as many as seven. Anderton Court has 8, Hollyhock, Oboler and Ennis 3, Millard, Storer and Freeman 2, one only in Sturges and Pearce, so L A alone would take up 25 pages.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. Yes, that's so. I certainly would want every Fallingwater fireplace; as a suite, they're marvelous . . .

SDR

wjsaia

Post by wjsaia »

Attempting to bring the thread entitled "MY OWN PHOTOS... WALKER RESIDENCE, CARMEL-CALIFORNIA," initiated by "guanche," up out of post-outage shadows . . . we'll see.