Houses with Desert Masonry

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Roderick,
That link does not work.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

File not found.

I guess this is the book I referred to -- I no longer recall.

http://www.amazon.com/Ranch-Houses-Livi ... 0847831825

SDR

therman7g

Post by therman7g »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks. Is that the house I indicated, three years ago ? Must be getting old. I wonder if this structure is still in place. Those vacant hills are surely crowded with other construction, by now . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

therman7g, that's the house.

FLWLAB

Originally Designed for Rubblestone

Post by FLWLAB »

I am joining this discussion string late, so this may duplicative of something already submitted, but I wanted to mention that the Walker House in Carmel, CA was originally intended to be desert rubblestone. In fact, Mark Mills was assigned to do the job given his proficiency with rubblestone. Ultimately, Carmel Stone was used instead (native to the area). However, I believe that rubblestone may be under the Carmel Stone (but I'm not certain; don't quote me).

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I doubt one would find desert masonry under the stone, but one might find that lower level with the circular stair revealed only in "A Summer Place."

CEP

Post by CEP »

Re: the Walker house - here's a few fairly recent pictures showing the eastern side wall which differs from the stone used on the house proper (and one nice sunset shot):
Image; Image; Image; Image; Image

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting these pics of Walker, CEP.

The house design in and of itself is good, but its dramatic siting, perched on the rocks just above the shore is what captures the imagination. Is it the scenario of shelter from the storm, or is it the back of the mind knowledge that there is a real element of danger in being in this house knowing that at some point in the future a tsunami will reach this shore once again? Wright's sand castle, perhaps?

I just noticed the concrete wash on the top surface of the rocks, presumably to minimize erosion and to allow splashed water to more readily flow away?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The stonework of the additional wall is unfortunate. In order to differentiate the wall from original construction, it would have been better if it had been concrete with a slight indentation where it joins the house to set the new construction apart from the old. Now one can only plant vines ... which would have a tough time surviving.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Indeed. The plan geometry of the wall doesn't seem to relate to that of the original construction, as well.

The added stone wall (enclosing a second terrace ?) has been in place for sone years, I gather.

(It appears that this satellite view was "stitched" at an unfortunate place, adding some extra wrinkles to Wright's hexagonal roof shape.)

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Earl Nisbet used desert masonry type walls in some of his own projects.

http://www.ced.berkeley.edu/cedarchives ... isbet.html
KevinW

JPB_1971

Post by JPB_1971 »

I wonder why the additional wall was not built to match the Carmel stone of the house? It is not a big wall so I wouldn't think availability of materials would be an issue - maybe just lack of sensitivity to the original materials?

At least the grouting on the rocks in front of the house appears to have been colored to give the impression of sand/soil.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Current standards, for reasons I find spurious, say that additions to buildings should not blend seamlessly to avoid appearing to be original. I think that was the point of the change of material, construction and that curve at the end. Nevertheless, earlier, when the master bedroom was greatly expanded, the stonework, along with every other aspect of the design, blended perfectly with the original.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It seems a curious turn of events, that when we restore or add to a significant work of architecture we are now bidden to spoil it for reasons of academic clarity.

If we can send examples of human activity -- art, music, mathematics, etc -- into outer space, for the edification of present or future civilizations unknown -- and bury time capsules here on Earth for the same reasons -- we might find a way to alert historians and forensic anthropologists of the future that a given building was designed thus, and modified thus, and when and by whom, without recourse to crude mangling of the historic fabric itself . . . ?

SDR