Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

So much to see. (Should I post the drawings here ?) The cross sections show Wright's refined interpretation of the hipped roof. Here, the off-center ridge
once again produces (inevitably) two different pitches---but of a more subtle difference than at Mathews et al, where one pitch is twice as steep as the other.

And what about the gravity-heat array, on the last sheet: Living room and bedroom wing both have varying coverage---some rows of pipes are twice as far
apart as others. And does the array extend into the firebox as well ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

A couple of weeks ago some of us were looking at this section drawing of the A P Johnson house,
at Lake Delavan, from 1905. Note the roof fascia; forty years and more later, the Lamberson (and
others) have a remarkably similar---if simplified---fascia treatment . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

That's the most explicit roof framing plan I think I've ever seen of a Wright house.
Did you guys check out how the living room point is structured?
So cool.
(BTW - Band of Skulls has a new album out - just sayin)

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image 1

Image 2

Image 6

Image 9

Image 10

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 7

Image 8
Last edited by SDR on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

SDR - you are the bomb.

Request:
Anyway you could put the roof framing plan in between the floor plan and the reflected ceiling?

Are there exposed structural steel "T" window mullions in this house?
The millwork details seem to say so.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Also the typical sash detail on that sheet is pretty wild.
It seems to show an exposed steel frame with wood
head and sill rails only.

Big steel beam from the triangular carport column
to the point of the bathroom module.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The perf is a revelation!
Peter: Might you consider having a perf made just so it could exist and cast a shadow somewhere?

Pali: Has this one come up in your study....was it offered to another later client?

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've rearranged the order of sheets.

We went into the steel components of the fenestration a while back; that's probably earlier in this thread ?

DRN raises an interesting point: were perf designs ever reused ? I'm not aware that they were, and expect that they were not. Palli ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thank you
I’ve never realized how extensive this thread is
Will have to start from page 1
Looking forward to this

pmahoney

Reuse of Perf Designs

Post by pmahoney »

I have noticed that the Christian Residence (SAMARA) and the Bachman Wilson Residence have perfs that are nearly identical

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

How tall is the opening in the fireplace as-built? Section A-A, with that pyramidal basket, indicates that it was to have reached the height of the deck. Any communication about that detail?

The perf is very interesting. A mockup to see what it would do to the daylight might encourage you to have them made. Brandes had perfs designed for the house, but the original owner didn't have them installed. Years later, his son, who inherited the house, installed them, and the nature of the interiors changed considerably for the better.

peterm

Post by peterm »

These blueprints are from 1948, the date of the original design at the location further west. The perfs were eliminated in the final drawings from 1950 in favor of the turret style openings. I’ve noticed that this was a trend through the fifties houses; Lamberson was one of the first. (See Taschen for the plan)

DRN, Palli- I think I provided Palli with the perf drawings, and they were posted somewhere on WC a few years back when she was researching.

The fireplace opening height was built as drawn, 6’8�. The firebasket would have mediated the extreme height, and is something we are still contemplating doing. (Any Wright Chat welders who care to take on this Herculean task?)

Yamagiwa lamp based on the steel firebasket design:

Image. . . . . . . Image

Image. . . . . . . Image
Last edited by peterm on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Peter provides photos:

peterm

Post by peterm »

The vintage photo is by Hedrick Blessing. We can see that two of the modular benches were originally built, but were used as coffee tables on the opposite wall. Two rattan hoop chairs, gooseneck lamp by Kurt Versen and dining chairs by Paul McCobb supplement the Wright designed furniture. Dishes are American Modern by Russel Wright.

Bench, windows and dining table now:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Where does the fireplace design with the lower opening fit into chronology? Was it an earlier or later development?