Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Well -- you be the judge. The "side entrance" is available both inside and out. This plan,
and so many others, demonstrate Wright getting what he wanted, within an attractive
envelope (assuming some forgiveness in the nether quarters). A very clever planner !

Stockman plan © W A Storrer

outside in

Post by outside in »

Peter, the house looks perfect - I believe you are the model "curator" of your building - you're setting a fine example for others to follow. congratulations.

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Yes, I'll add my voice to the chorus. Congrats Peter--you were the perfect steward for Lamberson--the building is lucky to have found you.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks guys! There's still more to be done. (But maybe that's just the case with any house?...) Next spring the chimney and roof problems will be addressed.

And thanks, again, John, for helping out with the structural, foundation and flashing issues. We wouldn't have known how to get started...

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's a photo (# T 33) which shows the new terrace steps floating partially unsupported. Was concrete added beneath -- or are they structurally sound as is ?

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

There was a miscalculation made on the lowest step, resulting in the slab being too narrow. A steel angle was attached to the slab which supports the brick.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Peter:

Thanks for allowing us to see the 'work-in-prgress'. You and all in involved are to be commended for taking the time and effort to do a true 'craftsman's-style job' on all of this. Congratulations - everthing truly looks fantastic!

And I really like the new 'half-wall' for the service entrance area. Perhaps next time you or someone who is there you could take a picture of that area from further away to help show it in overall 'Lamberson-context'?

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

I was hoping for this shot as well. Here are two views, in different lighting, of the house in its new form . . .

The new wall is parallel in space to the left-hand portion of the central masonry mass. It's a great addition to the composition, don't you think ?

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

Next time I'm there, I'll take a midrange photo.

It's a subtle change from what was built, but does eliminate the double entrance dilema:

Thanks for posting, SDR.
Last edited by peterm on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I'm with SDR...
Subtle as the new carport wall is, I think it lends an important layer to the composition that unifies it. The "before" appearance of the composition seems divided at the carport due to the receding utility core wall and deep shadow. The new wall adds a mediating layer that, at least to my eye, visually knits the wings of the house together when the house is viewed in bright sunlight/deep shadow.

SDR

Post by SDR »

And, its height mediates between the sill/terrace wall height, and that of the roof and the superstructure. The space above the new wall echoes the height of the nearest window sill . . . in the negative. Very satisfying.

Something really seems to be missing, now, in the earlier shots !

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

I was perusing the Taschen Vol.3 last evening and found the Lamberson house entry. The floor plan presented appears to be an iteration of the document that includes the recently built carport wall, but before the new terrace stair was added. I was more interested by what appear to be pencil markings at the fireplace...despite the use of reading glasses PLUS a magnifying glass, I couldn't quite make out the notes before pixilation set in.
Peter: Do the plans in your files include additional notes, marks, or any suggested revisions at the fireplace? I am preparing to repair the fireplace chimney, damper, and hearth prior to the new roofing being installed next summer...better to have masons clambering on old shingles rather than new roofing....it would be good to know what may have been noted on a similarly tall fireplace, possibly after original construction began.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image Lamberson

Image Sweeton

Image Sweeton

DRN

Post by DRN »

Another question....the rear wall of the firebox at Sweeton is not canted inward as shown on the drawings, rather the firebrick is plumb, presumably to avoid detailing a closure at the return end elevation. Does Lamberson have a plumb or canted rear wall in its firebox?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Answering your most recent question first: the firebrick wall is plumb, not canted...

And to your previous question... What I can read from the drawing as shown in the Taschen volume is this: fireplace brick hood above... pier, corner, pier, brick hearth, see sheet 4 (illegible)

There are several other drawings (earlier and later) with different details shown.