Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DRN

Post by DRN »

Beautiful. Alignment with the mortar joints and tight fit with the endwall makes it.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Doesn't that look great ? This is one of Wright's most accommodating bench seats -- and now the upholstery sings, too. Warm and cheerful post-war colors, all around this room . . .

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Love the continuity of seat through the glass.
Seems really well done.

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Beautiful sofa both inside and out! I love the buttery color!

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Also...question: Do the inside seat cushions lay of a flat surface? My sofa has a 2 1/2" trench with a 1" trim piece that extends beyond the sofa. I don't know why I haven't dealt with the cushions yet but we're hosting a fundraiser for Columbus Landmarks on Oct 8 so now I have to stop procrastinating!

BTW there is a Columbus Landmarks tour that will include Ted van Fossen's Rush Creek Village on Sunday August 27 if anyone will be in the area:

Rush Creek Village Walking Tour
Sunday, August 27
2-4:30 p.m.
$15/$20

Columbus Landmarks is very pleased to partner with Rush Creek Village on a walking tour of this planned residential community in Worthington that was developed in the 1950s and designed by Columbus native Theodore van Fossen. The homes in Rush Creek were Inspired by the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, and are built of natural materials, using forms carefully chosen to complement the surrounding rolling, wooded landscape. Rush Creek Village is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and its residents are committed to maintaining the architectural integrity and spirit of the Village’s organic style of architecture.

Our walking tour will be led by architects and tour guides knowledgeable about organic architecture and Usonian design. A few Rush Creek Village residents will open their homes so that tour participants can fully experience the inherent practical and functional design, as well as the intentional relationship of the homes within the natural setting.

Tour proceeds will benefit Columbus Landmarks and Rush Creek Village.
http://columbuslandmarks.org/modern-design-celebration/

peterm

Post by peterm »

I wish it were closer to Chicago; I would love to tour Rush Creek Village. Could you take some photos?

To answer your question about the benches: Both benches, the built in bench now covered in the gold fabric, and the modular benches with reddish fabric on the opposite side of the room have plywood underneath the cushions. The seats of the modular benches are parallel to the floor, the built in seat and back are sloped and are on hinges with storage under the seat. And both have a 3/4" thick fascia board "lip" extending above the plywood.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Moving this thread to post outage searchability.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Some keywords: Lamberson, peterm, Stafford Morris, Oskaloosa

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks, Dan.

And greetings to one and all after the brief coma...

peterm

Post by peterm »

The ten that got away. I bid too low; now they will not live with the house. 😞
The “winning� bid was $1700.00 at Heritage Auction today, with estimate between 800 and 1100. Whoever now owns them, please take good care of them!

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/fine-art-wor ... 01-67125.s

SDR

Post by SDR »

Aw, gee. That's a really nice drawing set. If you cannot get screen grabs of the sheets, let me know and I'll try it.

The garage or outbuilding is a complete surprise to me. Were you aware of it ? On the site plan, what is the large geometric field, divided into lanes or strips ?

Where would perfs have been installed ? That's another surprise . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps you have a copy of this drawing set already. Does the Foundation have an established practice (and price) for making drawings available to owners ?

I have made a set of copies---but they're only c. 7 3/4" by 12". Now I see the advantage of a 30" monitor !

I fall in love with the house all over again . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

I got my screen grabs, thanks.

These 1948 drawings were made for a slightly different location on the property, further away from the street, and closer to the hospital behind the house. The slope was greater there, necessitating the extra triangular planter. Wright requested that the location be switched closer to the east, and the shop, the planter and the perfs were eliminated. The final 1950 drawing shown in Taschen reflects those changes. Also note that the kitchen was originally 60 120 angles with the boiler down a couple of stairs.

It is my guess that Wright realized that the original location with its greater slope required more retaining walls and fill, and might be too close to the hospital.

The “lanes� that you mention? Do you mean the topographical contour lines?

SDR

Post by SDR »

No---it's to the right of the shop, on the sheet, and larger than both of them combined. A garden ?

I was wondering about the noticeably steeper site, on the elevation sheet; thanks for explaining . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Oh, yeah.. That’s the game courts (Jack Lamberson was an avid tennis player, and taught in his later years), swimming pool, and dressing rooms. Of course, all of that was eliminated after the first bid came in!