Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanksgiving 2014, fresh snow:

peterm

Post by peterm »

The benches originally designed (but never built) for our terrace at Lamberson have been completed. They extend the line of living room benches through the mitered glass corner onto the terrace. Thanks Nick! https://www.houzz.com/pro/nick-lippert/ ... -interiors

The next step is to have the cushions made.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Nice. Is that cedar? How are you finishing/sealing the wood?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Yes, it is Western red cedar. Clear heart redwood would have cost thousands more, and at least from my research, cedar has similar longevity, and is straighter, harder, and a little stronger structurally.

It has one coat of linseed oil, plus one coat of Sherman Williams transparent heart redwood oil stain.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Looks great peter! I like the image of the bench continuing "through" the glass. It looks as if the feet of the bench bases are vertically adjustable....to compensate for drainage slope of concrete or future natural movement of the wood?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks Dan.

Yes, they are adjustable in order to level. (The terrace floor slopes away from that wall for drainage). But mainly I didn't want the wood to touch the concrete in order to prevent rotting and allow water to pass through. The notching of the legs (not present on the inside or on Wright's drawing) is also for that reason as well as to keep leaves and spiders, snow and ice from hanging out under there. I'm still not sure whether I'll leave them outside all year long or not, but I modified the design to allow for that possibility.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The subtle changes make sense, and will increase the life of the piece.

peterm

Post by peterm »

The drawings from Taliesin:

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Good looking bench!

Are your cushions made locally or do you have an online site that you use and would recommend? (I still haven't dealt with cushions).

peterm

Post by peterm »

The cushions will be made and upholstered in Chicago by Recovered Interior. They are also in the process of making new cushions for our long bench near the kitchen and fireplace. They recently did upholstery for Unity Temple.

If you need someone, I would highly recommend them. They are fanatical about all things related to Wright and his circle, and I'm sure would jump at the opportunity to do work on your beautiful place.

https://m.facebook.com/recoveredinterior/

jim@recoveredinterior.com

I realize you're quite a distance from Chicago, but I think they could make that work...
Last edited by peterm on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

If you are not trying to reproduce an existing cushion you might want to try cushions.com. I have used them and they satisfied my needs.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Thanks Peter. I will look into them. There was originally an unprotected single unusual size mattress on our built-in sofa but being wet, moldy and with mouse droppings on it, we found a large bag and it quickly made it into a dumpster. There are suggestions on a previous thread that I must research, complete with the angle back of the cushions. I have no clue as to why I haven't dealt having them made, perhaps the summer weather keeps me outside, or maybe its a fear of mis-measuring.

We aren't inviting people over until the kitchen cabinets are completed (close) and right now the sofa is serving as a place to store Joe's architecture books, (built in bookshelves are already all filled) until a living room cabinet to house the books, television and my B&O system is built.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

I really love the top photo on this page of your beautiful house surrounded with a dusting of newly fallen snow! Such a peaceful setting!

Wrighter

Post by Wrighter »

Congratulations Peter--the restoration continues to sing!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Looking at Mod mom's sofa, I'd say the best upholstery would be a flat (not tapered) firm piece for the seat, and a flat back piece in a slightly less firm foam. I often suggest a tilted seating surface when the back is reclined somewhat -- but in this case the sofa is deep enough for sitters to curl up on it, and it no doubt also needs to double as a sleeping surface.

(Reversing from Mod mom's linked photo will bring the viewer to a few more photos of the built-in sofa -- followed by a series of the most convincing (and moving) shots of the interior of the Gunning residence, in its newly-revived state. Inspiring . . .!)

SDR

peterm

Post by peterm »

The built in bench has been reupholstered matching the original dimensions from 1951. The previous replaced cushions had 2' wide back cushions, with 4' seat cushions. The back cushions were about 3 inches too low, and the soiled white microsuede was just wrong.

Wright's instructions for fabric colors specified turquoise, gold, and burnt orange used in any combination. We have now added the gold into the mix using a vintage style boucle' fabric.

Work was done by James and Kylie of Recovered Interiors (photo #6.)
They recently completed upholstery for the Unity Temple restoration. https://m.facebook.com/recoveredinterior/

jim@recoveredinterior.com

1Image
2Image
3Image
4Image
5Image
6Image