FLW-designed William F. Ross House price reduced

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
cottonwood

FLW-designed William F. Ross House price reduced

Post by cottonwood »

I received an e-mail that stated that the price of the Ross house has been reduced to $499K (down from 575K). The FLW-designed home is in dire need of someone with the vision (and funds) to save it from demolition. The house is currently being marketed "as is" or for the land which is less than a quarter-acre site. I hope a buyer whose intention is a restoration of the home is located soon.
http://www.bairdwarner.com/search/prope ... 5373992096
MLS# 06874860

RA

Post by RA »

This is a good deal for this house.

Glencoe is a wonderful suburb near Lake Michigan north of Chicago. My guess is that a lot of this size a year or so ago would have sold for 800K+. This is a very wealthy suburb. The house may be a bit small and it is close to a commuter rail road. But, if a nice restoration is done and the market turns upward, the value will increase greatly.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Aren't there a number of Wright Chatters in the Chicago area who would be willing to take the leap here? This is an amazing opportunity!

A Frank Lloyd Wright house in one of the best neighborhoods of the Chicago area, on the ravine, surrounded by other Wright houses, for the price of the land?

The house has a full basement, which for midwesterners, is probably not a big deal, but combined with the fact that the house is maybe a bit small, makes it more economical to restore.

It could be restored a room at a time...

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa ... e&resnum=1

Go to street view to see the neighborhood filled with other Wright houses. I think the Kier house is right next door...

cottonwood

Post by cottonwood »

Better yet: Purchase BOTH the Kier House (I do not know if it has sold yet) and the Ross House. One could live in the Kier House while the restoration of the Ross House is being completed. One could have their own Wright Compound! Perhaps the owners of each property would be willing to swing a deal if both properties are purchased.
In all seriousness, it would be a shame if the Ross House perished. Restoration of the house will not be a small feat. I was in the house after the pipes burst in the basement that Peterm was referring to in his previous post (the basement could have been marketed as an indoor pool at that time). I do not know if any repairs have been made to the property since that time. The Ravines is a beautiful area. Property values (and in turn their prices) have declined due to the current real estate climate so this is an opportunity for someone to give a FLW house a whole lotta love.

djbowen

Post by djbowen »

What a sign of the times. Horrible that even authentic Wright can't sell in this market.

Another sign of the times: the HP Young house took a $100k price reduction in November and still hasn't sold.

http://www.trulia.com/property/10622830 ... k-IL-60302

pharding

Re: FLW-designed William F. Ross House price reduced

Post by pharding »

cottonwood wrote:I received an e-mail that stated that the price of the Ross house has been reduced to $499K (down from 575K). The FLW-designed home is in dire need of someone with the vision (and funds) to save it from demolition. The house is currently being marketed "as is" or for the land which is less than a quarter-acre site. I hope a buyer whose intention is a restoration of the home is located soon.
http://www.bairdwarner.com/search/prope ... 5373992096
MLS# 06874860
That is the value of the lot without a house on it. Unfortunately this FLW House is in danger becoming a tear-down.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

Frank Lloyd Wright designed home nestled in the Ravine Bluffs subdivision in east Glencoe. This property is waiting to be restored. This house is also being sold for the land. Sold as is.
The quote above is taken directly from the Realtor's web listing for the property. It is not very subtlely mentioned that the "house is also being sold for the land", which pretty much says to me that if you want to buy the property and tear the house down, go ahead and knock yourself out. If a white knight is not found soon, I fear the worst for the house. I truly hope I am wrong.

pharding

Post by pharding »

If it a Wright Enthusiast here buys the house to live in, my firm will provide 40 hours of professional service pro-bono to assist in that worthy endeavor. Glencoe is one of the most beautiful upscale suburbs in the US with great schools to match. Buying that house is a great investment opportunity.
Last edited by pharding on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Harding FAIA Restoration Architect for FLW's 1901 E. Arthur Davenport House, 1941 Lloyd Lewis House, 1952 Glore House | www.harding.com | LinkedIn

SDR

Post by SDR »

Forty something. Quite generous. . .

SDR

pharding

Post by pharding »

Forty hours, thank you.

It gets better. I will also donate my expertise to drive the property taxes through an appeal process that has worked repeatedly for me over the last 30 years and other strategies for tax reduction and income tax credits. If one is a first time home buyer you will save $8,000 on your income taxes for this year which could be used for the down payment. I am only going to do this for a Wright enthusiast that agrees to give this house the proper care.

RA

Post by RA »

Very noble Paul, very noble.

And folks, you will not find a better person to work with. Very, very smart. Paul is always there when you need him. And, he is a great architect with the needed hands on experience.

This would be a wonderful project and a great opportunity for a fist time purchase for a FLWright devotee.

IndianaWright

Post by IndianaWright »

Has anyone seen the house and in particular the interior? If so, could s/he make a guess as to how much it would cost to restore (not talking museum quality)?

From some pictures I've seen, the house appears to be setback very far from the road and otherwise on a narrow lot. Is that the case? If so, perhaps some zoning or other restrictive covenant will help protect the house from being torn down.

peterm

Post by peterm »

A friend of mine who is an art historian at Northwestern described it as a "wreck" and speculated that it might be more economical to rebuild the house from scratch, rather than to restore it. He did say that the neighborhood is nice.

Others?

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

peterm-

I have only seen the house from the exterior, so I cannot comment on the condition of the interior. Although not literally falling down when I last saw it a couple of years ago, it was very rundown and dilapidated, and it was obvious that there had been many years of deferred maintanence, to be kind. I don't think it looked quite as bad as the Westcott House in Ohio did before it was rescued, but not far behind either.

The area is indeed quite nice, a very secluded and serene enclave very near to the shores of Lake Michigan north of downtown Chicago. The neighborhood of course includes about a half dozen other Wright designs and all of the homes are generally very well kept. With easy access to to the train station nearby, this is a location from which it is relatively easy to get around the greater Chicagoland area using public transportation. All in all, a very desirable neighborhood, community and location.

If I had to guess on the lot size, I would say that it is probably between 1/4 and 1/3 of an acre, maybe 80 feet wide by 160 feet deep, give or take a bit on either dimension. The house probably sits about 50-60 feet back from the street, but was largely obscured by the overgrowth of the long neglected landscape. And as I recall, the stucco was pastel color with the trimwork was painted a lilac color?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Here's a glimpse of the exterior and the other Wright houses on the street:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safa ... e&resnum=1