Welbie L. Fuller Residence

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

SDR: One is in full sunlight and the other is in sunrise or sunset. 2 different lighting conditions and 2 different camera angles. I think the top photo is from the time it was built and the other is probably late 50's early 60's.
JAT
Jeff T

RA

Post by RA »

Just for the record. My kid was learning area of triangles etc. in 6th grade while attending public school. I also remember her learning area of rectangles in earlier grades. They keep on repeating the calculation of area on several levels.

SDR

Post by SDR »

On the previous page JSL presented a useful mini-tutorial on computing the area of various polygons. Mr Myers, who declares himself well-served by
his home education, prefers to await college before tackling such deep waters, apparently.

Not every man is educated; not every man is educable, perhaps; but every man has an ego. I speak from experience.

We wish the youth of today well, in the world of tomorrow !

SDR

GeorgeAmberson

Post by GeorgeAmberson »

Thanks, SDR, for posting the color photos. It saves me from having to go to the library every time I want to see them. ;-)

Seeing these photos always makes me wax poetic. What is it about certain structures that makes us get real quiet, and just stare and marvel at the artistry? I don't know why the Fuller residence does this to me...but it does. I love this house!

Here's another question: if someone did try to resurrect this little gem, would he or she be able to find the plans? I suspect that the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation might have them; perhaps no one has ever asked.

Jeff, if you do create a mockup of the house, I will be the first one to look for it.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Way ahead of you Mr. Amberson. I have a Google Sketchup model of the FUller House. If you have never heard of Google Sketchup it is a 3D Architectural and Design (modeling) program that is Free or pay. I had difficulty modeling the Fuller house due to a lack in Photos but now that I know that the bottom floor (ground floors) have glass now I can go back to the Model and redo some parts of it. Mr. Amberson I will post my model of the Fuller House tonight on this site http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... &scoring=d
That is my my Sketchup Portfolio.
JAT
Jeff T

GeorgeAmberson

Post by GeorgeAmberson »

Jeff, I noticed no one addressed your query about the age of the color photos. With a jigger of common sense, and a dash of history, I think we can narrow the age down to two or three years. Let's do a little bit of detective work, shall we?

Volkswagen Bugs existed in the 50s, but that era was the era of big cars, so the Bug was not at all popular in that decade. The Bug didn't really take off until the advent of the hippies/counterculture in the 1960s, and its heyday was from about 1967 until about 1974, when the advent of Japanese imports caused a precipitous drop in sales. I can see that the bug in the picture appears to be a blue color, which was more popular in the mid 60s than the late 60s, when earthier colors became the norm. (By the way, my very first car was a Volkswagen Bug. Despite the fact that my cars since have been more reliable than that old clunker, that Bug to this day remains my favorite car; it had personality!)

Taking this into account, and taking the fact that the Bug was probably not new when the photo was taken, I think it's safe to assume that the picture was taken somewhere between 1966 and 1968—not too long before the destruction of the house. It may have even been taken the very same summer of the Hurricane, which, if true, adds a certain cachet to the existence of the picture.

I don't think the colors on the house would have faded to a significant extent, and here's why: Cherokee Red was a favorite color of FLW, so it would be quite natural for him to use it on the Fuller House. In addition to this, fading would have occurred unevenly, but as you can see on the side of the house, (the smaller picture), the color is uniform. As the other poster has noted, red often photographs as black or dark grey in black-and-white photos under certain conditions.

Please let me know when the mock-up is finished. :)

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Mr Amberson,
I have done the Fuller Residence but now that these photos have surfaced I can now make a more accurate and, with the help, SDR helping me scale this house to a "T", a month ago, I can render it more accurate then ever before.
Jeff
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

For instance, the concrete block stair tower appears in the latest photo to have 30 courses of block. At 8" per course (2/3 of a foot), this translates to
20 feet in height (2/3 of 30). The spandrel of the second floor (the prominent "stripe" that runs the length of the building and bridges to the guest house) is
about 30" high, and is centered on the 12th block of the tower. The dark stripe of the second floor roof is centered on the joint between the 24th and
25th course of block. Etcetera. . .

SDR

GeorgeAmberson

Post by GeorgeAmberson »

Jeff Myers wrote:Mr Amberson,
I have done the Fuller Residence but now that these photos have surfaced I can now make a more accurate and, with the help, SDR helping me scale this house to a "T", a month ago, I can render it more accurate then ever before.
Jeff
Jeff, I was wondering where I can find the photos of the mockup. A search at your Flicker site has not produced results.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I haven't gotten to it yet but I will be doing that shortly.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Welcome to Jeff Myers SketchUp" turns out to be one page, which doesn't in fact lead (as far as I can tell) to any SketchUp work. What's up, Jeff ?

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

I have been busy. I am right now watching a memorial service for Wayman Tisdale.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Jeff, do you understand what I'm saying ? You've been directing readers to your site so they can view your SketchUp work -- and there's nothing there.

Hello ? Earth to Jeff ? Did I miss something ?

SDR

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

On Flickr, I have an account but no Sketchup work,just yet, My personal website, that you see at the bottom, does have one Sketchup Work so far.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- in the "photos" choice at the top of the page. I see. Thank you.

SDR